Yes. In India, the central government is offering a subsidy for these installations. Not only the Central Government but also States also offer subsidy schemes to the people for installing rooftop PV systems. The initial cost of installation may be high but in the long run, it will become economical for the domestic users. Once the installation is over there are no maintenance cost or Raw Material cost.
The Central Government pays 30% of the installation cost for rooftop PV systems in all the states except states having special status. In those states, the subsidy will be 70% of the cost.
The following are the other benefits one can have in addition to the subsidy mentioned above.
1. You can get a Bank loan up to 10 lakhs from any bank under a home loan or home development loan.
2. Generation based incentive will also be given in some states.
3. You can sell the excess energy generated by you and the rate will depend on the state and the electricity provider in the sate.
You decide on the supplier first. Ask him to submit the quotation and negotiate with them. Generally, once you decide on the supplier, they will take care of everything. They will get the permissions required for the electricity board and they will negotiate with the government authorities, apply for the subsidy and they will see that the money will be paid to you. If you finalise the deal with them they will take care of all the requirements. Anyhow, I am giving below the important steps.
1. Contact the State Electricity Board and meet the concerned officials and tell them your proposal.
2. They will come and visit the rooftop where you are proposing for installation.
3. Then they will approve your application and give permission.
4. They will advise you the fee details and they will give permission for installation of measuring equipment for the produced power also
5. You have to inform the completion of the installation. Then they will come and inspect. Then they will give permission for you to apply for the subsidy. They will also give you the tariff details for the excess units generated.
6. Then you have to apply for subsidy to central and state nodal agencies and they will get you the subsidy.