"Optometry" is derived from the Greek words "opsis" which means "view" and "metron" which means "to measure". Optometry is a profession that focuses on eye care, vision and visual system that includes testing, detecting, nursing and guides people with visual diseases and disorders of eyes using optical instruments to improves human vision and helps to correct it with lenses and spectacles.
Eligibility Criteria: To take-up Optometry(Diplom, Bachelor's degree(B.Sc.) or Master's degree) course one needs to have passed or appeared his higher secondary or 10+2 in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Mathematics and English from a recognized state or national board with a minimum aggregate score of 60%. The candidate needs to have attended 17 years of age and some have passed the entrance exams NEET-UG(National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test for Under Graduate). Many colleges have their own entrance exams and you can approach the college for more details. It is a 4 years course, 3-year full-time semester pattern undergraduate course, i.e six semesters of six months each and a 1-year internship.
Job opportunities for an optometrist: After studying Optometry, one can make their career as optometrists, ophthalmologists or opticians.
- An Optometrist examines the internal and external structure of the eyes and focus on regular vision care and prescribe eyeglasses and contacts.
- An ophthalmologist is one who specializes in the surgical and medical care of the eye vision system and offers complete eye care services like Diagnosis and treatment of eye, Plastic surgery, etc.
- An Optician who uses a prescription that is written by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist and is trained to design, verify fit eyeglass lenses and frames, contact lenses, and other devices to correct eyesight.
- As a Professor and teach optometry in colleges
- As a Private Practitioner and Vision Consultant and provide optometric counseling to patients with partial sight and hereditary vision defects.
- As a Customer Care Associate and help detect diseases or fit contact lenses or Low Vision Aids
- As a Trainee Optometrist and help in eye tests, contact lenses, exercises
- As an Optometry Researcher and collaborate with opticians, ophthalmologists, lens manufacturers
- Start their own eye clinic, optical shop, lens manufacturing unit and practice as an Optician.
Salary of an optometrist: A fresher can earn an average salary in a range between Rs.25, 000 to Rs.40, 000. An experienced and skilled optometrist salary can go up to at least Rs. 5 to 7 lacs in a year depending upon the hospital/company, clinic location, etc.
Institutes in Kerala offering courses in Optometry are:
i) Name: Al Salama College of Optometry
Address: Hospital Road, Perintalmanna, Malappuram, Kerala 679322
Phone/Mobile No.: 04933 393363 / 9072 555222
ii) Name: Al Shifa College of Paramedical Science
Address: Lemon valley, Angadipuram PO, Perintalmanna, Malappuram, Kerala 679321
Phone/Mobile No.: 04933 228088 / 229820 / 9745 105620
iii) Name: Kerala University of Health Science (KUHS)
Address: Medical College PO, Thrissur, Kerala 680596
Phone/Mobile No.: 0487 2207 616 / 664 / 9847 210788
Email id: email@example.com
iv) Name: Regional Institute of Ophthalmology
Address: Govt. Ophthalmic Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695001
Phone/Mobile No.: 0471 230 4046 / 7749
v) Name: Little Flower Institute of Medical Sciences and Research(LIMSAR)
Address: 7th floor, St. Alphonsa Block, Little Flower Hospital Campus, Angamaly, Ernakulam, Kerala 683572
Phone/Mobile No.: 0484 - 2454846
Email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
vi) Name: Rayhan College of Optometry
Address: Kuttipuram Road, Edappal, Thrissur, Kerala 679576
Phone/Mobile No.: 0494 268 5699 / 4299 & 9388456600 / 9388556600
Email id: email@example.com
Note: Always join Colleges that are affiliated to recognized universities. Don't join Institutions that are not affiliated or recognized and check the details of college and the university as some universities are not valid.
Limit your "alway's" and your "never's." - Amy Poehler??