Nowadays, all e-commerce site and retail stores are giving good offers to attract their customers. And there are lots of offers also available on grocery items including flour, rice and pulses. It is always good to purchase them at low prices during offer period and store them for later use. But storage of grains and pulses, safely to prevent them from spoilage or pests, is not an easy task. There are several factors that affect storage of grains and pulses. The main factors are temperature, moisture, aeration, humidity, light etc.
There are several ways to prevent spoilage of grains and pulses. These are :
1. Neem leaves: Dry neem leaves should be mixed with the grains and container should be sealed to prevent air contact. It is the safest way.
2. Use of spices: Some of the spices are also very useful in controlling pest. Chilies are effective to stop insect attack.
3. Garlic: Garlic cloves are also used to keep insects away from the stored grains.
4. Turmeric: Turmeric is also highly effective to control pests due to its smell. Grains should be rubbed with turmeric and stored properly in airtight containers. 40 gm of turmeric should be rubbed in 1kg grains.
5. Bay leaves: These can also be used to prevent pests attack.
6. Use of Salt: Salt is also a good preservative. It stops entry of insects in to stored grains. Salt (200 gm) should be mixed with 1 kg of grains and kept in jute gunny bags and should be properly stitched. It can keep grains protected up to 4-5 months.
7. Lime treatment: Lime powder (calcium carbonate) is mixed with grains and stored in jute gunny bags. Usually, 10 gm of lime powder is used in 1 kg of grains. It provide long lasting protection from pests.
8. Some of the grains can be roast and stored for a longer period.
There are some suggestions:
1. Buy quality grains and pulses: Always buy good quality grains and pulses. You can buy them from big mall and good shop. Also check expiry date of the item you are going to buy and try to buy the item with longer expiry date. Smell from the grains is helpful to identify if the packet is old.
2. Control the temperature: the temperature of the stored area should not be high and it should be controlled.
3. Improve aeration in the area where grains and pulses are stored.
4. Check grains frequently: Grains should be checked frequently for any pests or insect growth.
5. Use of air tight containers: Air tight containers are to be used. They can be made up of steel, glass, plastic or any other material. Airtight container helps to keep freshness and also keep the grains moisture, odors and ?avors free.
6. It is good to buy pulses whenever required.
7. One more suggestion never use chemicals and medications like wheat pills Aluminum Phosphide, Celphos, Talunex, Fumitoxin, Fieldphos, Phostoxin, and Weevil-Cide etc. in stored grains to prevent from attack of pests. They may cause more harm instead of benefits.