You have some basic knowledge of computers and software programs. Now you want to get a software job. Have you any idea what type of software job you are interested? Software has become a very big field and there are certain areas for working in which certain skills or trainings are required by an individual. So there are two options for you. The first is go for some diploma or certificate course and then try the job in that particular branch and second is go for a full fledged MCA degree and then decide where you want to apply for a software job. If you work hard and get good score in MCA there are ample chances for campus recruitment also for you.
There is a common notion in the minds of the people that software job means writing a good code for executing a program and that is the end of it. Actually it is not like that. Software and computer applications is a very big arena and one has to focus in a particular stream in this lucrative job opportunity place. Now we will see one by one which are the prospective areas and where do we fit in the scheme of getting a good and interesting job.
1. Software Engineering - This area requires a proficiency in Java, C++, software engineering skills and basic concepts of software development. This is basically a team work and one has to work in a group for certain software development projects.
2. Digital Marketing
- Today everyone has a smartphone on the go and big companies have realised the potential of advertising and marketing at that level on the screen of the handheld devices. This requires an online marketing effort and a software person has a big role in designing and executing the whole gamut of marketing framework in this emerging area.
3. Animation and Web hosting - There are some opportunities in this line for working in the animation industry and use internet for hosting of domains and homes for the digital enthusiasts.
4. Software testing and analysis - Many IT companies require qualified people to test and analyse the performance of the software programs before they are released for the commercial purposes. This is a very important and rigorous work and requires complete and satisfactory checking of a particular software or application.
5. Mobile App Development - This area has also got good potential for job as everything is finally converging to the mobile apps. Main platforms are left behind in the desktops and everyone now wants an app for everything. So many companies are hiring the services of mobile app developers for making and maintaining their applications.
6. Machine learning and Artificial Intelligence
- This is coming up as a big challenge for the IT industry as artificial intelligence is going to take the front seat in it. In this field a software expert has to make a synergy in various technical subjects to produce a robust AI machine and this field is still more futuristic one and experience will be a desirable thing to enter this area.
7. Business Accounting and Taxation - As I mentioned earlier that your 'commerce' knowledge will not be wasted, here is now the opportunity to become a professional in accounting and taxation. The responsibilities will be payroll policies, SAP modules, financial statements etc.
8. Networking and interfacing - This is not purely a software oriented area but one has to use the latest application and software programs for installation and networking of hybrid systems across an organisation. This is a speciality area and once experience is gained, it has a lot of potential for growth.