Hackathon is a kind of competitive challenge and also called as codefest. In this challenge some problems are given to the participants. They used to solve these problems with their creativity, thinking, Knowledge and skills and by using software. These software applications are provided by the organisers.
In hackathon, participants forms teams and solve the given coding challenge. In this programme, specific theme based video tutorials, related assignments, tests, quizzes, and various exercises are provided to participants. It is a time bound activity. Sometime duration may be from 24 to 48 hours. There are several types of hackathon organised by companies for recruitment purpose. These may be offline or online and sometimes a combination of both like a few phases of hackathon will be online and then selected candidates are called for onsite hackathon.
Pros of hackathon
1. It develop teamwork.
2. It develops creativity.
3. Knowledge sharing is also a part of hackathon.
4. Candidates sets goal and achieve in a given time schedule. Hence, it also develop punctuality
5. Learning new things, technology etc.
6. You can get expert advice in your dream project.
7. Hackathons organised by various companies provides jobs to job seekers.
8. It also boost knowledge and skills of employees.
9. You can also add hackathon experience ( if you have participated in) in your resume to make it more impressive.
10. It is a fun.
Cons of Hackathons
1. It may be tiring as it involves full 1 or 2 days.
2. Employee may or may not get promotion and bonus on the basis of this.
3. Sometimes codes are useless.
4. You may have to work under pressure or without any willingness.