Teeth are the hardest part of our body and are strong even more than bones. Our teeth consists of called dentine, a calcified tissue and mainly composed of calcium, phosphorus, and minerals. Dentine remains covered by enamel, a shiny layer that we see.
A cavity in a tooth develops due to food particles stuck while we eat. Bacteria present in mouth cavity turn food into acid which decay tooth and creates holes or cavities.
Generally, dental cavities are fixed by filling after removing the decaying part of the tooth. if anybody is having cavities in teeth, a visit to dentist is recommended to avoid further tooth decay. As bacteria in small cavities in tooth may destroy tooth enamel and may create deeper cavities.
But tooth decay can be stopped by taking some precautions and using some home remedies. As teeth are made up of calcium and minerals, enamel get repair itself by using minerals that we intake from food and found in saliva, and also from fluoride.
Some of the good home remedies and precautions are listed here:
1. Avoid sugary food or use sugar free food.
2. Take Vitamin D and other supplements
3. Coffee made from roasted coffee beans is also useful to prevent cavities.
4. Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste
5. Use aloevera tooth gel
6. Avoid frequent snacking
7. Avoid juices with higher sugar content
8. Avoid chocolates, sugary candies, sweets
9. Use cavity fighter mouthwash after eating.
10. Avoid chips, bread and pastas
11. Avoid bananas or high sugar content fruit or rinse mouth after eating such types of fruit immediately
12. Drinking milk is also helpful as milk contain calcium and phosphorous which strengthen and repair tooth enamel
13. Rinse your mouth regularly after eating and going to bed
14. Visit your dentist regularly
15. Eat tooth-healthy foods
16. Eat foods with natural probiotics which helps to equalize the acidic pH in the foods/drink you consume
17. Oil pulling. It is an ayurveda dental cleaning technique. In this technique cleansing of teeth by swishing with a tablespoon of oil in the mouth empty stomach for about 20 minutes. Sesame, sunflower or coconut oil can be used for this purpose. It effectively reduces plaque buildup. Thereafter brush your teeth. Oil pulling removes toxins and improves oral health, reduce plaque and gingivitis.
18. Clove oil can be used. It is also having antibacterial properties.
19. Turmeric powder mixed with water is also very good for rinsing mouth.
20. Use salt mixed with mustard oil for cleaning teeth.
21. Use dental floss daily.
22. Use of baking soda mixed with little water can also be effective.
23. Use salt water for rinsing mouth. Besides betadine can also be used.
24. Use of licorice root as a tooth brus. It is also very helpful as it contain licorice, licoricidin and licorisoflavan A, which inhibits the growth of cavity-causing bacteria.
25. Neem oil and neem twig can be used to clean mouth.