Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) was a entrance exam which was conducted by UPSC to provide four year training to selected candidates in railways department. Selected candidates were trained in the undergraduate program in mechanical engineering at the Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering(IRMEE), Jamalpur. This programme was started in 1927 and is one of the oldest in India. Eligibility of this exam wad 10+2 and only PCM group candidates can appear in this exam. Age limit was 17-21 years. After training candidates got guaranteed Group A officer service in Indian Railway Services of Mechanical Engineers (IRSME). During training they received Rs.9100 and Deafness allowance plus other benefits. After completion of this training candidates received handsome salary. In short it is a royal job.
But in 2015, Railways decided to close down this examination after UPSC communicated that it was not inclined to continue conducting the examination. The main reason behind this was problem of trading, promotion and seniority etc. This exam has not been conducted in last few years hence, chances of holding exam in 2020 are also very less. But you never know anything about government policies.
After stopping SCRA, all vacancies are added under Engineering Service Exam from 2019 . Following posts are added:
1. Indian Railway Services of Mechanical Engineers (IRSME) for mechanical engineering. First posting as Assistant Divisional Mechanical Engineer (ADME)
2. Indian Railway Services of Engineers (IRSE) for civil engineering. First posting as Assistant Divisional Engineer(ADEN)
3. Indian Railway Services of Signal Engineers(IRSSE) for Electronics and Telecom. First posting as Assistant Divisional Signal &Telecom Engineer (ADSTE).
4. Indian Railway Services of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE) for electrical engineering. First posting as Assistant Divisional Electrical Engineer (ADEE).
5. Indian Railway Store Services (IRSS). For all above streams. First posting as Assistant Materials Manager (AMM).
You can appear in ESE exam and start preparation for it. But you should have degree or diploma in engineering.
Still, if you have some queries you can communicate to UPSC on the address given below:
Under Secretary, Examination I(B)
Union Public Service Commission,
Dholpur House, Shahjahan Road,