Trees or greenery not only add beauty to the house or surrounding, but it also provides clean and fresh oxygen. Vastu Shastra believes that the trees help to balance the flow of positive energy, bring prosperity and wealth. When we follow the Vastu Shastra principle while planting trees or doing gardening, it will help us to control our mood, bring fortune and good health.
Vastu Shastra believes that every garden impersonates one of the five elements of Panch Bhoota i.e. Prithvi or earth, Jal or water, Agni or fire, Vayu or wind and, space. Each direction and the elements that it resembles are:
i) The north-east direction represents water
ii) The north-west represents air
iii) The south-east represents fire
iv) The south-west represents earth
v) The centre represents space
Trees to be planted as per the directions are:-
a) In the North direction: This is a very favourable direction. You can plant a 'Tulsi' or 'Holy Basil' in the centre. Note that you plant only small plants and plant without thorns in this direction. The only exception is for the Rose. You can add a water fountain to highlight beauty but avoid rock or rock paintings in this direction.
b) In the South direction: Vastu Shastra advice this portion to be left free as it does not encourage the flow of water source in this direction. If you want to plant than try hanging type pots or plants that require less water.
c) In the East direction: This direction is ideal for kitchen gardening and can plant fruit plants, vegetable plants or the plants that bring prosperity, fortune or wealth like the money plant, etc.
d) In the West direction: This direction can be used to plant big or tall trees but should be planted at a distance from the house. You can even use rocks or statues to enhance its beauty. Trees like Mango, Chickoo, Jackfruit, banana, etc can be planted in this area.
Some trees or plant that can be planted for prosperity, wealth and good health are:
i) Money plant - This is considered to be lucky and brings in the growth of wealth or income. Care has to be taken that it does not dry-up as it is considered unlucky. You can either plant it in the East or North direction.
ii) Banana tree - This plant is considered sacred and symbolizes health and mental peace. You can plant it in the North-East direction.
iii) Coconut Tree - Coconut represents purity and growth and brings happiness. You can plant it near the boundary at a long distance from the house. You can plant it on the South or West of your garden.
iv) Neem tree - It has medicinal properties and capacity to create positive energy. It is very useful and has health benefits. You can either plant it in the North-West direction.
v) Mango tree - As mango has much medicinal value, used as a pesticide and puja purposes, you can plant it on the East direction of the garden.
vi) Flower pots - flower pots or plants in the pot should not be taller than 3-feet or 1-meter height and placed on the wall or compound in North, East or North-East directions. Pots smaller than 3-feet or 1-meter height can be placed on the ground in the said direction. This is to allow morning sunlight to come in from theses direction.
Some more tips to follow while planting trees or making a garden as per Vastu Shastra are:
1. Always remember to plant trees in even numbers like 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc.
2. Always plant fruit or vegetable plants on the East side of the garden.
3. Never plant a tree in the middle of your gate or door as it blocks the flow of energy.
4. Bonsai plants symbolize slow down or hinder development. Hence avoid all kinds of bonsai plants.
5. Never plant taller growing trees on the North, East and North-East directions. The trees on the said side should not grow taller than the roof of the house.
6. Any type of tall trees can be planted in the South-West direction as it will bring safety and growth.
7. Avoid planting thorny plants or trees in your garden as it creates an argument and brings division except for Rose.
8. Never keep a dry or dead plant or tree with no leaf in front of the house as it brings bad luck. Either cut it down or take care of it.
9. Creepers can be grown in the garden or entrance by providing separate support for each creeper. Also, ensure that the creeper does not grow beyond your compound wall.
10. Orchid symbolizes love, fertility and children. It also provides higher growth, perfection and prosperity in one's lives thus growing it in your garden is very helpful.
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in." — Morrie Schwartz