Today there is tough competition for getting a suitable job as everywhere one has to compete with the crowd of qualified people. Still, with hard work and sustained efforts one can be successful in making a career. Just completing an engineering degree does not automatically entitle one to get a high notch job. Today there is a big mismatch between the production of qualified people from the universities and the available jobs in the industry. So one has to accept that fact and try for the various options available in the market. One has also to remember that till one gets a good job there is no harm in engaging oneself with a mediocre job as that gives not only an engagement but experience of the real world outside the college campus. Some of the options you can consider are as follows -
1. Applying for executives/ graduate trainees in Public Sectors organisation - There are many PSUs in our country which advertise posts for its various vacancies and one can apply in that and appear in the respective examination and with proper preparation can come in merit and get the position. NTPC, ONGC, Oil India, HPCL, IOL, Coal India, Hindustan Copper, and many others are there which periodically advertise the posts.
2. Indian Railways - Indian Railways also advertise posts where engineering graduates can apply. The recruitments are managed by Railway Recruitment Board through examinations and interviews. This is a very good career option and one must try this.
3. State and central Govt administrative services - Every year many people apply in this stream and though the competition is tough but this is one of the lucrative career today and in my opinion one should do all out efforts to get through in it.
4. Teaching career - If one has interest in teaching then one can go for B.Ed. and then apply for teaching jobs. Some private schools hire people without B.Ed. also especially for computer projects and things like that. Other option is there are many private coaching centres
all across the country and they would take the engineering graduates as their faculty.
5. Working assistants in industries and business houses - There are many companies which hire the graduates for many miscellaneous works in their organisations. For an engineering graduate they may appear out of the core activity but they are very good for earning experience of practical work and with that one can learn many skills which can be useful when one switches from this job to other stream.
6. Computer domain - If one has some interest in computer area then with some short time certification one can try for a job in the industry like animation, web designing, system administrator, software testing etc.