The National Institute of Virology(NIV) was established in 1952 at Pune, Maharashtra State in 1952 as Virus Research Centre (VRC) and one of the major Institutes of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). From 1967, NIV is entirely funded by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) as Rockefeller Foundation (RF), the USA withdrew its support. The institute is the best choice, to start one's training and research in virology in our country. The details given below are as per the 2018 circular updates and may change accordingly.
Admission Process - As you already in your degree 1st year in BSc with a combination of microbiology, biochemistry, genetics, do complete the course with atleast 60% if you are an open category candidate and Min. 55% if you fall under reserved category. One can submit their application by Post or by hand to the following address: The Director,
National Institute of Virology, 130/1 Sus Road, Pashan, Pune – 411021. The heading of the envelope should have the note " Application for M.Sc. Virology Entrance Exam."
Course Availability in the institute - The college offers 2 Years Full-Time Master of Science (MSc Virology) or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) which is a 3 Years Full-Time course. As you are interested in MSc in virology and in the 1st year of BSc, you can apply after completing your undergraduate BSc course.
Eligibility criteria to get admission after graduation - The eligibility criteria for the post-graduation courses in Virology at the National Institute of Virology are:
- Passed candidate in M.B.B.S. for both open and reserved categories.
- For candidates passed B.V.Sc. or B.Sc. (Biotechnology / Botany / Chemistry / Clinical Laboratory Science / Life sciences / Microbiology / Zoology) min. 60% for open category and min. 55% for reserved category.
Fee structure - The the fee structure for the course are as follows:
- Rs. 500/- as application fees for General Category & Outside the State of Maharashtra is applicable.
- For Maharashtra domiciled students and students from Jammu & Kashmir Rs. 32,000/- per year approximately.
- For students from other states or not domiciled in Maharashtra, Rs. 57,000/- per year approximately.
- For candidates sponsored from industries/companies Rs. 1,50,000/- per year approximately. For candidates sponsored by industries collaborating with NIV or sponsored by small-scale industries, the fee structure would be as prescribed for the Maharashtra-domiciled students.
Documents required - The documents required for admission to the institute are as follows:
- Attested copy of the final-year mark sheet or attested copy of your previous-year mark sheet for those in the final year.
- Attested copy of domicile certificate or SSC and HSC examinations certificate for the candidate of Maharashtra domicile.
- Attested copies of caste and non-creamy layer certificates for reserved category candidates.
- Medical certificate for physically handicapped candidates.
- Sponsorship letter by the Managing Director or permanent employment (Job offer letter) and minimum 1-yea Experience certificate from the company for candidates sponsored by Industry along with PAN card of the candidate.
Seats available for the course - The total number of seats available as per the category for the course are as follows:
- 20 seats (10 for Open category and 10 for Reserved category i.e. SC-13%, ST- 07%, OBC-19%, DT(A)-03%, NT(B)-2.5%, NT(C)-3.5%, NT(D)-2% and SBC (as per Govt. of Maharashtra rule).
- 3 sponsored candidates i.e. industries collaborating with NIV or by small-scale industries.
- 2 for students from Jammu & Kashmir migrant.
- 1 or 3% seats for Physically Handicap candidates.
- 1 or 5% seats for Defence Personnel's/Ex-Serviceman's children.
- 1 for Sports / Cultural quota (National/State level) candidates.
Entrance exams for the course - There are 100 Multiple Choice Questions of each carrying 2 marks each and negative marking of 0.5 marks per wrong answer conducted by the institute wherein All questions are compulsory. The questions contain 20 questions on +2(HSC) level in Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics and 80 questions on degree-level Life Science subjects that include Life science, Botany, Microbiology, Zoology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, Medical Sciences and Veterinary Sciences.
Contact details of the institute - Kindly find below the contact details of the National Institute of Virology (NIV), Pune.
Address - National Institute of Virology, 130/1 Sus Road, Pashan, Pune – 411021.
Phone - +91-20-26006304, 26006305, 26006390 [Office Timing from Mon-Fri: 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.]
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Website - http://www.niv.co.in
For more information about the institute, you can even go through the article in ISC college or education section from the given link: National Institute of Virology, Pune