Company Secretary is a senior post in a private or public sector company. He basically supports the board of directors and administration and deals with the legal activities of the business. He has got a very responsible coordination work in the organisation. This position is sometimes known as corporate secretary or simply secretary also.
This course is primarily conducted by the ICSI (Institute of Company Secretaries of India) but there are many other institutes in India which are offering this course. The course basically covers business environment, entrepreneurship, management, communication, ethics, economics, accounting, company law, commercial law, tax law, general law, securities law, accounts & audit practice, secretarial practices, financial & treasury management etc. The complete CS course comprises of the following modules -
1. Foundation Course – 8 months.
2. Intermediate/Executive Course – 9 months
3. Final/Professional Course – 15 months.
Any student who have passed class 12 can apply for admission to the course however graduate students can seek direct admission to the Intermediate/Executive Course. In most of the institutes the admission is based on the merit of class 12 examination and it is imperative that only the meritorious students would be able to get admission. Some institutes conduct entrance exam also.
Other than ICSI (Institute of Company Secretaries of India) the following institutes are also offering this course -
1. Indira Gandhi National Open University.
2. Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
3. Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore.
4. Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
5. Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad.
Knowledge is power.