Tulsi known as holy Basil is widely found in the Indian subcontinent and it is one of the plants which has been immensely described and talked about in the Hindu scriptures and religious books. Our ancestors were knowing about this plant and its benefits right from those ancient times. That is the reason that it was considered as the sacred plant and was offered to the deities. Lately, tulsi has got much recognition and acceptance in most of the places in the world due to its immune boosting and other beneficial properties for the human health. Dry basil leaves broken in small pieces are commercially available in almost everywhere across the globe and are being used in various dishes and drinks like tea etc.
Tulsi is easy to grow and requires a humid and sunny climate like we have in our country. There are two common varieties found in our country that is the green coloured Lakshmi tulsi and the light purple one Krishna tulsi. In Ayurveda and naturopathy tulsi assumes a pivotal role in avoiding or curing many common as well as specific ailments. The essential oils especially linoleic acid found in tulsi are good for our respiratory system. The antioxidants found in tulsi help in many ailment conditions like diabetes, stress, high blood pressure, skin disorders etc. Tulsi powder is used in many herbal cosmetics. Drinking tulsi regularly in tea is an established way for immune boosting. It can be consumed in varieties of ways. Tulsi has immumerable benefits and some of them are -
1. It is a great detoxifying herb and the regular intake of it would clean the body.
2. As a cleansing agent it is good for skin either applied in form of an ointment or taken orally.
3. It purifies the blood and removes the impurities therein.
4. It is useful in treating issues like ringworms.
5. It has an inherent anti-viral property and regular intake would ward off cough and cold.
6. It is a great preventive herb for many ailments and is anti-bacterial and anti-carcinogenic also.
7. It is an effective remedy for chest congestion, flu, sore throat etc.
8. It is a great herb for stress reduction and many people are benefited by this particular property.
9. If taken in the combination of ginger and black pepper it helps in reducing throat congestion and fever.
10. It is said that people who take this herb regularly would not get problems like asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, and pharangitis.
11. It is great immunity booster along with facilitating good digestion.
12. Containing essential oils and Vitamins like A and C it is a nutritive source for all those who consume it.
13. It is useful in controlling the blood sugar and controls it from escalating.
14. It is also beneficial for teeth and gums and keeps them healthy and strong.
15, It can protect the body against the harmful effects of free radicals.
16. It is also used for treating conditions like hepatitis, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, and swine flu.
Knowledge is power.