Polymer Chemistry (known as macromolecular Chemistry also) deals with the chemical synthesis and understanding of polymers both naturally occurring or made artificially. This is a vast area and there are many fascinating project and research ideas in it. The advancement in polymer Chemistry has helped in inventing artificial polymers like nylon, polyester, plastic etc. So, polymer Chemistry is definitely a fascinating area to pursue and make a career in this line.
After completing graduation in polymer Chemistry a student can go for 2 years M.Sc. course in Polymer Chemistry and there are some colleges and institutions where this is available. Some of these colleges are -
1. Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Anantapur.
2. St. Wilfred's P.G. College, Jaipur.
3. University of Calicut, Calicut.
4. Central University of Plastic Engineering, Bhuneswar.
The eligibility is graduation with the relevant subject(s) and admission is based either on the merit of graduation or entrance exam undertake by the university or college. Different institutions have different ways of selection for admission.
In M.Sc. one would have to study Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry (Practical), Organic Chemistry (Practical), Physical Chemistry (Practical) etc.
After completing the Post Graduaton in Polymer Chemistry one can have many career lines and some of worth mentioning are as follows -
1. One can go for NET exam and the opt for teaching line in colleges or university.
2. There are research opportunities in universities, business entities, Govt organisations etc.
3. One can choose a particular pharma company where projects are being run in this niche area.
4. People can even join in plastic and synthetic manufacturing company for work related to these polymers.
5. One can apply for job in some chemical company related to polymers like providing feed stock etc.
6. There is scope in food and drink industry.
There are many job positions in this arena against which one can apply and some of these are -
Laboratory Manager, Polymer Chemist, process engineer, Organic and Polymer Chemist, Innovation Leader, Production Supervisor, Field Operator (Polypropylene) etc.
Knowledge is power.