• Category: Hardware

Keeping laptop plugged in and charging even if the battery is full - Is this fine?

Do you have a query about charging laptop evne tohugh battery is full? looking out for getting the correct answer for this query? Check out tihs Ask Expert page for advice from experts.

I use a laptop for my personal use. I keep the charging wire plugged in always even if the battery is full. As I have to unplug and plug every time when the battery goes full or drains out, I just don't unplug it and leave it connected. Even if I am not there on my desk for a few hours, I don't disconnect and switch it off. Is this ok to do? I mean will this affect any of my appliances like my laptop, the battery, laptop performance, my current usage, the power socket, etc.,

• Keeping the battery always in not good. The life of the battery will come down and you may have to change the battery frequently. Experts say that keeping the charge between 40 % to 80% is the best for long shelf life. Start charging the battery when the level of charging reaches 40%. Charge the battery till it comes to 80% of its full capacity.
    But there are some models where the power will get cut off automatically when it reaches 100%. In these models even you keep the battery charging on also no problem.
    Most recent generation laptop batteries are either lithium-ion or lithium-polymer. These batteries will have many charge cycles. So if we keep them always on charge condition also it may not harm the battery. But these batteries also will get spoiled easily if you allow them to get discharged completely.
    Please follow the following tips irrespective of model and make. That will give you a better life span
    1. Try to keep the battery level between 40 per cent to 80 per cent
    2. Please see that your laptop doesn't get too hot. See that your cooling fan is working properly.
    3. Select battery saver or eco mode.
    4. DIsable unused devices.

• Keeping laptop plugged in and charging even if the battery is full is not good.
    The Laptop components are very closely positioned for obvious reasons of space. The battery is placed very close to the vital parts like the central processor. The parts get heated during the Laptop working. In addition the battery also gets heated up during charging. This adds to the heat inside the Laptop and especially the processor etc gets heated up more as the ventilation is not that much in a Laptop. Hence in the long run this affects the performance and also damages the vital parts of your Laptop.
    There is another risk of sparking as unknowingly the plug chord may be subjected to your pull and movement. This apart, working with such devices directly plugged to a main current source is also risky.
    The ideal way is to charge the device to the maximum and then take out from main electric plug and work with the device. When the charge comes down and reaches a level of say 30 percent, take precautions of shutting down properly and take it out for charging.

• Normally we see many people use laptop or mobile while charging. But it is not advisable as the variation in power supply would affect even to the level of bursting. I read in newspaper that a girl was listening music in her bed through earphones in her mobile by keeping the mobile in charge. By that way she slept. Suddenly mobile burst out due to overload and she got heavily damaged in face with burning injury .

• Leaving the battery plugged despite the same being fully charged will reduce its useful life. It would affect the life of battery. Lithium ion battery being used in Laptop has fixed number of charging cycles- somewhere between 600 - 800 in terms of laptop battery.
    Thus to maximise the length of time of its retention of charge, it would be better to minimise the time of remaining being plugged despite the same fully charged - if not possible to eliminate it altogether.
    While constantly discharging and recharging fully would be a better option than leaving the battery plugged in. Most of the laptops other than made by the Apple have removable batteries. These laptops can run without the battery being charged. Remove it physically and the same can run on AC power. This would eliminate the problem of having it plugged in while fully charged . This would also eliminate the unnecessary use of charging cycle.

• Once the battery is fully charged it is a general practice to remove the charger. Then we work in laptop till the battery reaches a low level say 5-10% and then again we have to charge it for the next use. Using battery this way enhances its life and avails all the charging cycles as designed for that battery.

When we do not remove the charger even after the battery is charged fully then initially nothing happens as battery stops getting further charging and the laptop starts to work on the mains power and battery remains at 100%. But if we keep it like that for a long time then two things happen which are detrimental for the battery life. First thing is that the battery heats up due to heat inside the laptop and that is always an adverse thing for the health of the battery and second is that keeping a battery forced at 100% is not advisable as whatever power is trickling out of it would be again given by the mains power and that would interfere with the charging cycles that are supposed to start only when battery is too low or discharged fully.

If there is an emergency like battery gone bad then there is one trick that people use especially in areas where there is continuous mains power supply available or they have got an inverter installed in their house and the trick is that they remove the battery and work on mains. I had a laptop in which battery had gone bad 2 times and it was replaced in warranty but third time it was not under the warranty and I decided to use it without battery just on mains as I did not take the laptop anywhere. I worked like that for 3-4 years without any battery in it.

Another thing is that if due to some reason you want to keep your 100% charged battery for some time in the drawer then you can run the laptop on mains and then only when you want to go out put the battery back and take your laptop with you. However please remember that whether you use your battery or not it always loses its life albeit less in comparison to when it is used. So, keeping it out like that intermittently would increase its life may be by 15-20% at the most. So, it is not a very advantageous proposition.