GST number and registration can be done online these days. But as per the rules, no registration is required until your turnover reaches rs.20.00.000/- per annum. once you reach that turnover you have to go for the registration, GST will have three components 1. CGST that is centre goods and service tax. This will go to the Central government.
2. SGST. State goods and service tax. This will go to the State government. 3. IGST. Integrated Goods and service tax. It will be applicable when the transaction includes two states. From one State to the other state.
If we want to register, you can do it online and you require the following documents.
1. Propertiership company: You require the PAN Card and Address Proof.
2. LLP Company: you require, PAN Card of LLP, LLP Agreement, Partners' names and address proof.
3. Private Limited Company: You require Certificate of Incorporation, PAN Card of Company, Articles of Association, Memorandum of Association, Resolution signed by board members, Identity and address proof of directors and Digital Signature.
For address proof, you can use
1. Passport or
2. Voter Identity Card or
3.Aadhar Card or
4. Ration Card or
5. Telephone or Electricity Bill or
6. Driving License or
7. Bank Account Statement
Once these copies are ready with you. to login in the GST portal (https://www.gst.gov.in/) and click on register now. Then go on filling as per the direction that is being given by the site. Once you have done it you will be given Application Registration Number (ARN0)
Even though your turn over is less than Rs.20/- lakhs, you can register for GST which is known as Voluntary Registration Under GST. By doing this you will have some advantages like
1. Input credit can be taken
2. Interstate selling without any restrictions is also allowed.
3. There will be an edge over competitors because of your GST registration.
There are consultants available outside. You can consult them if you want or you can do it by yourselves.