Pimples or acne are basically caused by the accumulation of dead skin cells, oil and greasy materials, fine dust etc in the skin pores and the pores are partially clogged due to it. This small pore place becomes a conducive environment for the growth of a bacteria known as P. acne and while the body fights to kill these bacteria then the inflammation takes place and an acne is created. This finally leads to formation of blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. A particular person would get acne or not it depends on many factors like genetic reasons, faulty life style and food habits, hormone changes in the body, continued high stress levels, skin infections etc.
There is no magic potion to treat acne or pimples quickly and whatever is to be attempted is to be undertaken as a long time strategy with patience and endurance. There are many success stories where people have treated them with household and other remedies but it requires applying them for a longer time. Another thing is one remedy working with one person may not be effective in other one so there are some trial and errors also involved in this matter. We will go through these suggested remedies (including the household ones as well as others in the nature of supplements) one by one -
1. Apple cider vinegar - It contains several organic acids having capability to kill bacteria like P. acne. This is also claimed to remove the excess oil from the skin which sometimes cause and help in acne formation. It is always to be used in diluted quantity as it can produce burns and irritation on the skin. Generally it is taken as a mixture of 1 part apple cider vinegar and 4 parts water. To be applied on the skin with a cotton ball and after 15-20 seconds one can wash the face and dry it with a clean cotton towel. This is to be done at least 2 times a day for a prolonged period at least 1-2 months.
2. Green tea - Green tea contains some antioxidants which are claimed to fight the acne creating bacteria. For this one has to boil water and keep the green tea in it for 4-5 minutes and once it cool downs just apply it on the skin with cotton balls and let it remain like that overnight. In the morning just rinse off it with water and dry up the skin. One can prepare this and keep in fridge for 3-4 days use. If the results are good one can use it one more time in the daytime also and after applying and can rinse off it after half an hour or so. This has to be applied for quite some time that is at least 1-2 months period.
3. Tea tree oil - This oil is well known to fight the bacteria (like P. acnes and S. epidermidis) causing the pimples. It is to be diluted with some carrier oil like coconut oil and then only to be used. Usually 1 part of this oil is to be mixed 20 parts of the carrier oil. Apply this to the skin at least 2 times per day and see that it is directly also applied to the pimples wherever they are present. Let it remain there for a few hours and then clean and dry the skin. Some people get irritation and burning sensation with this oil and if so, they should discontinue its use. This remedy is also to be used for a long time say at least a few months.
4. Essential oils - There are many essential oils which are used for getting rid of acne and pimples. Some of these are cinnamon, rose, lavender, clove, and rosemary and are to be used for a longer time to get some benefit in this direction. To be applied 2-3 times a day.
5. Tretinoin cream - This is a formulation based on vitamin A and is used for the treatment of acne and pimples. There are some studies that show that if this is taken in combination with Aloe vera then it is more effective. To be applied 1-2 times a day.
6. Honey and cinnamon mask - This is also used by many people for getting rid of acne. It is available in market in many forms. Honey and cinnamon are having well known antioxidant, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties which help.
7. Take a zinc supplement - Zinc has a very important role and it helps in healing as well as helps the body in fighting with conditions of inflammation. This will require a consultation with the doctor also as the Zinc has to be taken in a limited quantity not exceeding 40 mg per day.
8. Consume brewer's yeast - Consuming this supplement is found to be helpful as it is a good source of vitamin-B, chromium, copper, iron, and zinc.
9. Fish oil supplement - They contain omega-3 fatty acids which help in keeping the skin hydrated and reduce acne making processes in the skin. It is advised to consume these supplements for at least 2-3 months to see any effect on the growth of pimples.
10. Life style changes - This is something which makes a body resistant and immune to infections and definitely would not allow the growth of acne and pimples. One has to bring changes in lifestyle like doing exercises, eating healthy foods, undergoing meditation etc which of course have other health benefits also.
Knowledge is power.