Aloe vera is a medicinal plant found in abundance in tropical regions especially in the dry regions of Africa, Asia, Europe and America and has been used since centuries in various ways for mitigating health problems. Aloe vera belongs to Asphodelaceae family of plants. It is shrubby plant having almost green colour. Aloe vera juice is prepared from the plant leaf and it is a thick viscous liquid that comes out of the leaves when they are crushed or ground. This is then filtered and purified before consumption. Please note that when we say purified it means that the naturally occurring anthraquinone in the leaves (which is considered a laxative and can induce diarrhoea) is removed from it). Being a thick liquid like thing it goes well with normal household drinks like shakes, milk or smoothies and can be taken like that.
Some of the health benefits of Aloe vera are as under -
1. For nutrition - Aloe vera is full of nutrients and is recommended in many cases as a nutritive drink. It contains good amount of Vitamin B, C, E, and Folic acid. It also contains calcium, copper, chromium, sodium, selenium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, zinc etc.
2. For hydration - Our body requires time to time hydration and especially after the work outs to bring the oxygen and energy level back to normal. Aloe vera is a water dense plant and it helps for hydration of the body much. It is a good practice to have Aloe vera juice after the workout.
3. Managing constipation - Aloe vera has been found useful in regulating the peristalsis movement of intestines and helps in regulating the constipation by evacuating the excretions from the body in time.
4. For liver - It is medically believed that the liver would function better in an adequately nourished and hydrated body and to that extent Aloe vera is very useful for better liver functioning.
5. For skin - Being a good source of antioxidants and vitamins and having hydrating properties Aloe vera is a very often juice used for skin maintenance. Aloe vera preparations are being used for skin for quite some time and people have realised the benefits.
6. For heartburn - In reflex acidity in stomach that creates a heartburn situation, Aloe vera juice is effective to condo it by neutralising the gastric acids.
7. For digestion - It has been found effective in digestion of food as it contains some enzymes which help in the process of breaking down the food and absorbing them by the body. In many cases of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) also it has been seen effective.
8. For beauty and makeup - Aloe vera is used in many beauty enhancement preparations and is an ingredient in sunburn creams, moisturisers, makeup primer etc.
Knowledge is power.