Mother Parvati is the incarnation of Shakti and the mother of Lord Kartikeya and Lord Ganesha and the consort of Lord Shiva. she was born in the incarnation of Sati, so that Goddess Parvati could marry Lord Shiva, but Lord Shiva lost his wife Sati as Sati.
"Parvati" is the daughter of mountains, her father's name was Himwan (lord of the mountains) who was an incarnation of the Himalayas. Her mother's name was Meena and she used to call Parvati Uma. Her dream was to marry Lord Shiva. With the guidance of Narada Muni she agreed to do penance so that she could marry Lord Shiva, she began penance, to please God so that he can fulfill her wish.Lord Shiva is pleased with the devotion of Mother Parvati and accepts her as his life partner. After marriage, Parvati departs to Kailash, which was the home of Lord Shiva.
These are the forms of Mata Parvati
1. Shailputri, 2. Brahmacharini, 3. Chandraghanta, 4. Kushmanda, 5. Skandamata, 6. Katyayani, 7. Kalratri, 8. Mahagauri 9. Siddhidatri.
1. Shailputri: The first goddess Shailputri is called Sati, who was the daughter of King Daksha. Mother Sati had consumed herself by jumping into the fire of yajna. This was the first incarnation of Mother.
2. Brahmacharini: The second form of mother is Brahmacharini. In this form she had found Lord Shiva by performing hard penance.
3. Chandraghanta: It is clear from the name of Chandra Ghanta, whose forehead has a lunar shaped tilak, it is Chandraghanta.
4. Kushmanda: The fourth form of mother is Kushmanda. Kushmand means the power to create the universe. From the abdomen to the eggs, the mother covers the universe within her, which is why she is called Kushmanda.
5. Skandamata: Mother Parvati is the mother of Karthikeya. Karthikeya's name is also Skanda, hence she is called Skanda's mother i.e. Skandmata.
6. Katyayini: Maharishi Katyayan, born in Katya gotra, wished a daughter by doing hard penance of Mother Bhagwati. Then the mother herself was born as a daughter in his house. Being the daughter of sage Katyayan, she was called Katyayani.
7. Kalratri: The seventh form of Mother Bhagwati is called Kalratri. Kaal means crisis, which has the power to end every kind of crisis, it is Mother Kalratri. Worshiping this form of mother destroys the troubles.
8. Mahagauri: It is said that when the mother had done hard penance to get Lord Shiva, her color turned black. Pleased with austerity, Bholenath washed his body with the holy water of Gangaji. From that time on, her body became extremely radiant - like electric power. Since then, he was named Mahagauri.
9. Siddhidatri: The ninth form of mother is called Siddhidatri, who is endowed with all kinds of accomplishments.