Switching from the job of Automation Test Engineer to Data Science would be much more comfortable if you get a correct guidance. In this context, your joining in the class room programmes as indicated by you appears to be quite relevant in the sense that you will be acquainted with the different tools applicable to the Data Science.
There are three entry points which need to be looked into and these are indicated below -
1) Statistics- You should be sound enough to Statistics so as to use your statistical knowledge to help you in taking up better decisions in the crucial moments. You will have to revise these texts so as have a clear concepts in the statistical analysis.
2) Programming- Data needs to be collected and fed into the models developed for the statistical analysis and the results should be visualised for aiding decision making. This would require sufficient programming skills.
3) Business and other domain expertise- If you are an expert in a given business domain ( Say Automation Testing), you would know the nature of the decision making and you should be aware of the usage of the appropriate datas in the crucial timing. You should have the vision to decide what additional data would be required and how it can be procured so the strategy in mind could be achieved.
You need to follow the following strategies -
Step 1 - Take up the classes to learn the inputs and in your case, you have taken a right decision to attend an institute and being a student, you should explore the following points -
1) To what extent, do you like this domain?
2) How much effort should be exerted so as to get the right professional skill?
3) Your passion for learning the Data Science especially when you are encountered with a complicated technical stuff.
Step 2 - Concentrate on the programming languages such as Python, R, etc helping you in exploiting the domain languages, you have used in your automation testing.
Step 3 - In the midst of the course, begin visualising and designing the project according to your proficiency level. Ensure the following points as well -
1) Allow the accessor to know that you have decent knowledge in the statistical models and you can sort out the domain related problems if it occurs.
2) Demonstrate your some degree of professionalism while using code and show how effectively you can use programming to collect, process and visualise the data related domain.
Step 4 - Get your project be reviewed by the people connected with your profession having wide experience in this field and any suggestion provided by them may be incorporated if it matches to your idea. With a little bit of alertness and tactfulness, you should land in a space where you could accelerate your growth further.