You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Kindly answer regarding relieving letter service certificate

    Have not received your service certificate or relieving letter from your previous employer? Check out the impact of this problem on your new job and how to overcome it.

    I joined a PSU bank as a clerk in 2017 and resigned on 2019.
    Now I have cleared CGL.
    But the bank is not providing me a service certificate or relieving letter till now.
    On calling them they just delay or don't pick up.
    Will I be rejected in DV if I don't produce the letter?
    I have not mentioned the clerk job in CGL form as I don't want it to be counted in my service.
    Also please tell me what can I do legally to get the letter from the bank.
  • Answers

    7 Answers found.
  • If you have not mentioned about your bank job in your application for a posting CGL. They don't ask any relieving letter or experience certificate during Document Verification. But they may ask you what are you doing these three years after completing the study. Then you should be ready to answer the question properly. Did the bank give you a letter stating that your resignation is accepted and you will be relieved from duties from so and so date? If that letter is there means you can manage with that letter.
    Why a PSU bank is delaying to give the relieving letter. Are you relieved from duties? Is there any problem with the bank? Are there any dues you have to pay them? Before going legally, you try to approach the higher-ups in the ball and try to understand why the relieving letter is not being given?
    You can contact a local lawyer and discuss with them about the problem and he may guide you. But it is the last option. You should try to contact the people who are in senior positions and explain the problem and try to get the certificate. There will be employee associations and unions for all the employees in PSU Banks. You should approach them and promise some donation to their union so that they will take up your case and talk to the concerned and arrange the certificate.

    always confident

  • Since you did not mention any thing regarding your past experience in CGL and you should not worry on that account but at the same time, be prepared for the convincing answer if someone on the board of interview raises such a question regarding your activity prior to joining CGL. Your response must be satisfying one.
    Now relating to your question that you have not been provided the relieving letter from the bank where you worked lastly for two years and ultimately you tendered your resignation. In such a case, you are supposed to get the relieving letter from your ex employer. There are a number of options to get the same listed below -
    1) You should approach your immediate boss of the bank apprising him of the fact of your joining to CGL and release of relieving letter would be a valid document showing your experience put in the bank and production of such a relieving letter would lead to two years extra experience in your job line.
    2) You may go to the Banking Union where you can get your matter resolved with your polite talk.
    3) You might have heard the designation of ombudsman entertaining the grievances of aggrieved party/ employees and lodging your complaint to that level may be resolved appropriately. This should be your last choice of getting your issue resolved.
    Hope you would achieve success in your attempt.
    Once you get the relieving letter of your bank, incorporate the same in the form to get additional benifits in terms of gratuity, fixation of your basic and adjustment of your past leaves etc.

  • Wherever you are working, it is highly advisable to get relieving letter from the employer by giving proper resignation letter with notice period if any. Many workers / staff members thinking if we are not going to a company / working place they will treat us as resigned. It is not correct as the employer may send notice or sue in the court of law for damages. We have to keep it in mind that employer would have spent money and time for giving you training.

  • Since you have not mentioned about the job in a PSU bank in CGL form you will not be asked about that job or any relieving letter from the previous employer during the Document Verification. While it is always advisable to get the relieving letter from your previous employer for your future reference if you are asked what you did after your graduation before clearing CGL you need to satisfy them with a suitable reply.

    Please go through the appointment letter of the PSU Bank once again to check what are the terms and conditions for leaving/resigning from the service and whether all the conditions are fulfilled from your end. Since you worked in that bank for 2 years you must be having a couple of friends/former colleagues in that bank. Get in touch with them to know what went wrong. If the bank is not too far away go there instead of calling them up. You can also write to them asking for the relieving letter. Even if you leave an organization the relationship with the company officials should remain intact, though this does not happen always. You need to find out why your previous employer is not providing you with the relieving letter and if you find that the problem is from their end then only think of legal measures by consulting a legal practitioner. If the fault is from your end you need to sort it out amicably with the management.


    "Life is easier when you enjoy what you do"

  • Since you have not mentioned about your last job in CGL , so you will not be asked for relieving letter. However, you need to have relieving letter for further use elsewhere when and where it is required to be produced. As you have mentioned that they are not providing you relieving letter you may take following steps:
    - Meet the concerned authority in person instead of talking on phone
    - You may put your complaint before higher authorities.
    - You may send your complaint to Dirctorate of Grievances Cell, Government of India on
    - You may consult a lawyer.

  • Normally when you leave an organisation they would give you an experience certificate and details of your tenure with them. It is a very common formality and it is surprising to note as why they are not providing you it. Anyway as you have not mentioned it in your CGL application, it does not matter much. Still it is an issue that is required to be resolved.

    If the bank has an administrative and disciplinary issue with you like you left them without informing or did not follow the process of resigning by giving a suitable notice as per the terms and conditions of your employment there, then it is possible that they will not give you a certificate on the excuse that your case is in the pending category and until the issues are resolved they might not give you any certificate from their side. So this thing you must be knowing and if no such thing is there as per the procedure, you can give them a legal notice to provide you the requisite certificate of the fact that you had worked with them in a particular capacity for a particular period. You can find from some friends in the bank as what is the format of that certificate that bank generally issue to those people who resign and leave and if you get that you can indicate in your legal claim that what you were requesting was only to that extent. It would send a message that you are ware of these things. Another thing is that as you have worked in the bank for quite good time, you yourself can find it in the bank website with the help of some employee as what that format is officially given there for the guidance of the bank employee. Nowadays many organisations keep these things in their online site.

    Your new employer will be assuming you as unemployed for that period and this thing would be highlighted during the counselling session which I do not think is a big issue.

    Knowledge is power.

  • Did you submit your resignation letter complying with all the prescribed formalities, like advance period notice etc? What were you told by your Branch Manager or department head at that time and afterwards? When was the last working day you attended at the ban? Was there any usual farewell meeting and formal handing over of relieving letter? Did you get any benefits like Provident Fund salary arrears etc?
    Usually PSU banks do such things very systematically as there are established system of many decades. Not just that; the colleagues themselves will be ensuring all these.
    I guess that there is some communication gap or strained relationship with you and the bank where you were working.
    It is quite a long period from the time you resigned. You should have taken due course of action.
    I am just not able to digest your problem. Such things never happen in normal situations in banks.
    There can be some delay of actual handing over of relieving letter if there is some unexpected situation arising. Even then, being an ex-employee you would have easy access to your former colleagues. They would have helped you.
    I am assuming that you had submitted resignation complying all prescribed formalities , and stopped attending office only after the last day of the prescribed notice period and you were never informed of any problem in accepting your resignation, you were not on any bond or contractual obligation.
    If that is right then:
    1. Visit the office where you worked last and submitted resignation. If everything was right the relieving letter or copy will be available in your (employee file). Or at least they will be able to help you.
    2. You may contact the employees' union representative at that office or at leaders at the regional or head office.
    Now, regarding the CGL matter,
    If you had not mentioned about your bank job, they will not ask for any relieving letter.
    However if the facts are different than what I assumed, and you are not relieved by the bank for some valid reasons like some disciplinary proceedings, some outstanding liabilities etc, then things may turn bad for you if the bank proceeds with some court case, publishes notice in newspapers, finds about your new job and informs that employer etc.
    So take genuine efforts to get the relieving letter at the earliest.

  • Sign In to post your comments