You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Teaching BSc physics after BTech

    Want to know if an engineering graduate teach BSc Physics? Looking out for details of how this can be done? On tihs Ask Expert page check out the various alternatives provided for your query.

    Can a B.Tech Civil Engineering graduate teach B .Sc. Physics in givernment college as assistant professor?
    If not what are ways to do so?
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • After doing your B.Tech. you can think of making a career in Physics but for that you will have to go through a round about educational path by doing M.Sc. Physics followed by National Eligibility Test (NET) after which you can apply in the Govt colleges or universities for teaching the B.Sc. students. Another route to achieve the same thing is do M.Sc. in Physics and then do PhD which will make you eligible to apply for lectureship in colleges without going through the NET. There are many institutions in our country who take engineering graduates also for admission for their M.Sc. courses.

    Please note that there are many exams like JAM, TIFR GATE, JEST etc whose score is considered for admission in the good institutes like IITs, ICTS Bangalore, HRI Allahabad, IMSc Chennai, TIFR Mumbai, TIFR Hyderabad, IISERs, HCU, Pune University etc while some institutes have their own entrance exams like Jawaharlal Nehru University, Banaras Hindu University, Delhi University, Indraprastha University, Osmania university, BITS, Pilani etc. Though there are so many places from where one can pursue M.Sc. Physics but all of them do not take engineering graduates. So, you will have to find it by going to the site of the particular institute from where you plan to acquire this qualification.

    With some hard work you can definitely achieve this objective and only thing that I will suggest is while doing your M.Sc. in Physics please give some time to understand the basic principles of Physics through some good online tutorial site so that you can cope up with the M.Sc. education in the classroom in a better way. As it will take some time for you to get admission in M.Sc. Physics because in some places there is a tough entrance exam for that and you might have to prepare for that separately but the point is that during that waiting time please improve your knowledge of Physics so that it becomes easy for you to manage it at a later stage efficiently.

    I would suggest you to either register in some good online portal like coursera or BYJU'S or some similar one for learning Physics or alternatively, you can take advantage of some free resources in internet like or or even free material available in the reputed MIT site and there could be many more like that if you search in the net. If you do this homework right from today then whenever you are able to seek an admission in some college, you will be at ease while doing your M.Sc.

    One more thing in this matter is that there is a blog in the internet which probably an engineer like you have made and that is doing a very good information providing job for all those engineering graduates who want to do M.Sc. Physics and then make a career like you are wishing for. They have a WhatApp group also where they interchange information. The link of that blog is -

    Your target is an ambitious and long one but if you do commensurate efforts you will achieve it. All the best.

    Knowledge is power.

  • There are institutes in India and abroad where you can do M.Sc and PhD after completing your under graduation in Engineering. The following are some of the institutes which are offering M.Sc Physica to engineers.

    1.University of Duisburg-Essen, Essen, Germany
    2.Central University of Haryana, Mahendragarh, India
    3, University of Surrey, Surrey, England
    4. Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, India
    5. University of Pune, Pune, India
    6.Lovely Professional Univesity, Phagwara, India
    7.University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
    8. Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India
    9. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India
    10. Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune, India

    The admission procedure for each university will be different. So you have to go that particular university website and follow the procedures given there.

    As you have not done your B.Sc in Physics, to get through the written test for admission may be a little difficult. So you have to concentrate on studying the basics of Physics. There are many coaching institutes where you can join and get trained in the basics of the subject and get ready for the examination

    After completing your M.Sc you can do your Doctorate also. As on date after M.Sc you can appear for NET for becoming a lecturer. But UGC is contemplating to make Doctorate as a must for lecturership. So you should be ready to do PhD also to become a lecturer and teach Physics to undergraduate and PG students. That means you may have to spend a minimum of 5 years of getting qualified. Some Institutes mentioned above are offering integrated PhD course also. If you want you can try for getting admitted into that course also.

    Alternatively, you can think of doing M.Tech in any related field and then can become a lecturer in any engineering college and while working there you can do your PhD also. You may not be able to teach directly Physics. But many engineering subjects are applications of Pure sciences only and hence you will get the satisfaction of teaching Physics. All Engineering students will have Physics in 1st year of their Engineering, you can easily teach that subject to engineering students. If you can convince the management they may allow you to teach one or two classes of that subject also. This will save a lot of your time and you will have plenty of chances to get a good job.

    Alternatively, you can go for B.Ed after B.Tech. You can take Physics as one of the subjects in B.Ed. Once you complete the training course you can join as a teacher in any high school and start teaching Physics to students there. While working as a teacher you can for M.Sc also under Qualification improvement programme (QIP) and then you can become a junior lecturer to teach Physics to Inter students. While working as a Junior Lecturer you can work for your PhD and become a lecturer in Degree college and can teach B.Sc students.

    You can think of all the above alternatives and select the best way you feel and go ahead.

    always confident

  • For teaching profession in colleges one should pass MPhil or PhD after post graduation. That too the same faculty should be taken in post graduation. Besides passing SLET or NET examination is mandatory. Above all if you are interested in teaching job you can quest your wish by taking teaching job in private colleges or schools.

  • If you have a passion for teaching Physics to undergraduate students, it can be taken up independently by providing tuition to group of students in your leisure hours persuing their B.Sc in their colleges and in that way your earnings will multiply with your experience in this area and imparting coaching of several batches consisting of manageable number of students say ten in each batch. In such a system, you need not persue a course of M.Sc in Physics involving at least two years for the persuasion of the course.
    If sincerely interested to teach Physics in a government college, you will have to acquire M.Sc degree from a reputed university followed by Ph.D so that you will be exempted from NET test essential plateform to screen eligible candidates.
    One important aspect regarding your admission in M.Sc in Physics, not all universities would allow you to undertake this course since they prefer such candidates having acquired either B.Sc ( Hons) in Physics with at least 55 percent marks or at least 60 percent marks in B.Sc ( Pass) course. However, you may contact some of colleges listed below where you could be inducted in M.Sc in Physics course provided you clear the entrance examination followed by the oral at the later phase conducted by the admission committee.
    The list of such institutions is as follows-
    1) Hindu college - Delhi
    2) Hansraj College - Delhi
    3) Ferguson College- Pune
    4) Banaras Hindu University
    5) Jawaharlal Nehru University
    6) St. Xavier College- Kolkata
    7) Delhi University
    Hence your effort should be to clear the entrance test consisting of modules like Mathematical Model, Thermodynamics, Classical Mechanics, Electrodynamics and Optics carrying questions altogether 50 in number within the time span of three hours.
    Go through the previous year question papers for at least six to seven years so as to have the concrete idea of the pattern.
    For the oral session, you must be a good communicator apart from sound concept of theoretical Physics.
    Once you get admission in any one of the institutions, go in NET test after clearing your M.Sc in Physics so as to be eligible for the post of the lecturership. Later you may sustain your programme for Ph.D so as to have the permanent career in a constituent college.
    In that your ambition to teach the students Physics at their B.Sc level can be fulfilled.

  • Sign In to post your comments