You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Career Guidance

    Can I get a job as an academic course profesor after taking engineering?

    Want to be an academic course professor after studying engineering? Know the options available to you from our experts.

    I am thinking of pursuing B.Tech (Engineering physics) because I want to keep both theory and industrial jobs open for me but recently I saw somewhere that if I pursue engineering physics and go till Ph.D. even then I won't be eligible for becoming a professor of physics in BSc/BS colleges as the rules only allow cases like this to only teach in engineering colleges (I don't want to limit job opportunities in such manner)
    So basically summary of my question is that if I do BTech, then Mtech (in engineering physics) and try to pursue a Ph.D. (and I would probably try CSIR or UGC net after that) after all this will I still be only eligible as a professor for bsc colleges?
    I know that most people who choose engineering physics go for research field but still, I don't want fields other than research to close down for me( as I am not sure that if I should pursue research or not).
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • If you want to become a Professor in physics, you have to pursue M.Sc in any branch of Physics and then go for Ph D in the related subject. After obtaining the Post Graduation Degree in the concerned subject you have to clear your NET for becoming a lecturer in the subject with UGC scales in a recognised university or college or any other institution.
    If you do B. Tech in Engineering Physics and the M.Tech in the same subject, you can become a lecturer for the students of B.Tech Engineering Physics. After M Tech you have to clear the NET examination for becoming a faculty in any recognised university, college or institution. After M.Tech you can pursue a PhD also and after completing that course you can become a faculty for B.Tech students in the subjects you are qualified for.

    always confident

  • Just doing B.Tech. and M.Tech. in engineering would not help in getting a lecturer/Assistant Professor post in UG/PG colleges but there are some ways to achieve this ambition and that is that after doing B.Tech. one can think of doing M.Sc. Physics and many institutes allow that and give admission to B.Tech. students in Physics. So, once one does M.Sc. Physics then one can go for NET test and after qualifying that one is eligible to apply for the lecturer/Assistant Professor post. There is another option which is actually a still longer route that one can do even PhD after M.Sc. and then one need not to go for NET and directly apply for the position.

    Some of the institute like Central University of Haryana; Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram; University of Pune; Lovely Professional Univesity; University of Delhi; Jawaharlal Nehru University; Tata Institute of Fundamental Research; Inter-University Center for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune take engineering gradutes also in M.Sc. Physics. You can think of that in case you decide to go for M.Sc. in Physics.

    Some reputed institutes like IITs, ICTS Bangalore, HRI Allahabad, IMSc Chennai, TIFR Mumbai, TIFR Hyderabad, IISERs, HCU, Pune University etc consider the admission for M.Sc. Physics based on the scores exams like JAM, TIFR GATE, JEST etc and that option can also be explored.

    If you want to go for M.Sc. Physics then I would advise you to go through some online Physics tutorials of UG level so that you do not have any difficulty in coping up with the syllabus of the M.Sc. Physics.

    Knowledge is power.

  • As per the new rules set by MHRD, one has to obtain a Ph.D. degree to work as an assistant professor at entry-level by direct recruitment in University level or college-level teaching in the engineering field. If you have just a master's degree i.e. M. Tech. or M. E., you will be given lecturer designation under new MHRD rules. Again the rules set and followed by University as per UGC will also affect the position at the entry-level. So, first, make sure you have all the minimum standards to get a job in college or university as an assistant professor.

    Dr. Paresh B. Gujarati.
    Mechanical Engineer.
    'I'mprovement always begins with 'I'.

  • If interested for the post of lecturership in Physics, there is no restriction that taking up M.Tech in Engineering Physics would close your prospects in persuing your teaching of Physics for the aspirants studying in general colleges with this paper.
    The most essential thing from your end would to secure a minimum 55 percent marks in your qualifying examination so that you are eligible for the NET test. Your final performance in both the written and oral taken by the group of experts in this subject will ultimately be the final determinant of your selection. Higher scoring in the NET test will provide you the opportunity to be a lecturer in a constituent college. This test would not limit your career for being a lecturer in an Engineering College only.
    Later, it would be better on your part to take up the Doctorate degree under the guidance of the capable guide to widen your career prospects in the teaching line.

  • Sign In to post your comments