Due to global warming and other factors, the summer is really hot and very difficult for people to be at ease in their homes. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation, many of us are working from home, schools are shut and have online classes thus it is very difficult to manage the summer days at home and everyone would prefer installing an Air Conditioner (AC) at your Home to make at least the indoors cool. The summer in India normally starts by the end of February or early March and lasts until the end of June or the start of July. As the average temperature varies around 30 – 46 Degrees, many people would be in the thought of buying an AC for their home thus increasing the demand for the AC units. Here I would like the buyers to understand the features of various brands of air conditioners in the market before investing so that you would be able to buy the right AC for your homes.
Let us look at different factors that one should know before going into the selection of the right size of the AC. They are as follows:
a) The size or area of the room where you want to fix your AC. It plays a big role in the selection of the right AC to get the preferred cooling of the room.
b) The location of the room where you are going to install the AC. If the room gets direct sunlight, then it would need more capacity AC.
c) The usage of the unit as, if you would use it daily, in peak hours i.e. day time or only at night, etc. then it would help in deciding the capacity of the AC unit.
d) The place you live in also helps in deciding the capacity of the air conditioners. If you live where the temperature is hot or humid, you may require a more capable unit to keep the room cool.
e) The number of people living in the house, the amount of furniture/appliances in the room, etc. also plays a big role in deciding the overall capacity of your required unit.
Let us check at some of the unique features that one would want in their AC unit. They are as follows:
a) The mode of operation of the AC – This plays a big role in the overall consumption of electricity. Some of the different modes that come in the latest brands are cool mode, fan mode, dry mode, Energy power saver mode, sleep mode, quick cooling mode, etc.
b) 6th Sense cooling mode – This the latest technology that adjusts the fan speed depending on the room temperature and adjusting it accordingly and selecting or adjusting to the right mode helps in reducing the electricity consumption of the AC unit in the long run.
c) Color of the room – As we know that dark color rooms/walls absorb more heat and take more time to cool as compared to light-colored rooms/walls, which can impact the electricity consumption of the unit.
d) Inverter AC – The inverter Ac uses the technology as that of the accelerator in a car, By pressing or releasing the accelerator, one can increase the speed of the car in the same way, the inverter AC is efficient to adjust its speed and tonnage according to the heat inside the room making it more efficient thereby drawing less power. Please note that this inverter technology is only available in the split AC models.
Some of the reputed brands or companies that are specialists in the manufacture of AC units or equipment are Carrier, Voltas, Blue Star, Electrolux, Samsung, Daikin, Hitachi, IFB, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, LG, Whirlpool, Lloyd, Voltas, Haier and Sanyo which are international brands and Onida and Godrej are Indian brands.
Some of the AC brands that you can choose for your room depending on your need and budget are as follows:
1. Blue Star 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model - IC518DBTU): This AC comes with Precision Cooling Technology that works on a Fuzzy Logic which can help to detect the climatic conditions and instantly sets the desired cooling temperature accordingly and ultra-wide frequency microprocessor-based controller. It has Dual User setting preference that allows two users to personalize their AC settings depending on their requirements at home. It also displays the error codes on the temperature display option that enables you to contact your service engineer if there are any problems with the AC and ensure prompt repairs of the AC unit. It is ideal for rooms up to 170 square feet in area, has a 5-star rating, and a 10-year warranty on the compressor
Price: You can get this model from Bluestar at Rs.45, 490/- and from amazon at Rs.45, 990/-
2. Daikin 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – FTKG50TV): This unit works on the Neo Swing Compressor technology i.e. there is minimum friction and vibration while rotation thus is very silent while working. It has an Eco-no Mode or the Power Saving Mode an Eco-no Mode or the Power Saving Mode which limits the power consumption of the unit. It also has a Power Chill feature that cools the room quickly despite the temperature of the room. It also has an in-built stabilizer that can manage voltage fluctuations and saving the additional expense on the external stabilizer and providing safety of the unit in remote areas where there are tremendous input voltage fluctuations. It has a 5-star rating and 10-year warranty on the compressor and provides excellent after-sales services.
Price: You can get this model from amazon at Rs.44,100/-
3. Voltas 1.4 Ton Inverter Adjustable Split AC (Model – 175V ADJ / 185V JZJ): It comes with an adjustable inverter compressor that can work at different tonnage, depending on your cooling requirements i.e. counting the outside ambient temperature or number of people in your home it adjusts its tonnage to give high-quality cooling. It has an Active Dehumidifier feature that senses the indoor humidity levels and controls them accordingly. The Advanced Air Purification feature with multi-filtration removes harmful odours, dust, and other harmful allergens and provides cleaner and fresh air. It also comes with an inbuilt stabilizer that protects the critical electrical components and manages a wide range of voltage fluctuations. For uniform air circulation all over the room, it has a 4-way auto louver feature that maintains the ideal room temperature. It has a 5-star rating and provides a 4-year warranty on the compressor.
Price: You can get this model from amazon at Rs.34,600/- for Model – 175V ADJ and Rs.44,600/- for Model –185V JZJ
4. Whirlpool 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – SAI18K50MXC0): It comes with 6th Sense Fast-Cool Technology and works on Magic-cool technology that provides quick and uniform cooling of your room even if the outside temperature is high. It also has Intelligence Inverter technology and sleep function that adapts to your sleeping conditions or cooling requirements of the room and thus reducing the power consumption. It comes with Multi-Port Fluid Injection (MPFI) features that use unique 4x4 evaporator circuitry technology which is a fusion of the small circuitry and capillary design that ensures rapid heat exchange and provides instant cooling. It also comes with an in-built stabilizer and self-diagnosis feature. It provides a One-year warranty on the product and 10-year protection for the compressor
Price: You can get this model from amazon at Rs.34,990/-
5. Carrier 1.5 Ton Split AC (Model – CAS18ES3R30F0): It has Insta Kool and Follow Me feature, the inbuilt sensor on the remote follows the Ac and adjusts the temperature and provides optimal cooling inside. The different modes like a fan, dry, auto and sleep mode helps to adjust the AC to suit your different moods. It comes with Auto Cleaner and Dual Filtration (HD filter and PM2.5 filters) feature that traps dust and microparticle pollutants from the air and ensures pure and clean air circulation. The Auto Cleaner feature cleans the copper tubes and prevents bacterial formation in the tubes by keeping them dry and thereby increasing the overall lifespan of the AC unit. It is ideal for rooms up to 150 square feet in area, has a 3-star rating, and a 10-year warranty on the compressor.
Price: You can get this model from amazon at Rs.31,999/-
6. LG 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – MS-Q18YNZA): It provides 5-in-1 convertible cooling, dual inverter compressor that provides higher-speed cooling and even saves more power. It has an Auto-Clean feature and HD Filter that does not allow bacterial and fungal accumulation and keep the heat exchanger dry and clean. LG's Dual Cool Inverter keeps the interiors deactivate more than 99% of virus and bacteria and provides anti-virus protection, comes with smart diagnosis and ow gas detection feature that helps to detect the problem, detecting low gas levels and coordinate with the LG service center for remedy.
Price: You can get this model from the LG site at Rs.66,990/- and amazon at Rs.41,490/-
7. Hitachi 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – RSOG518HDEA): The price of the AC unit on Amazon is Rs. 42,490/-
8. Panasonic 1.5 Ton Wi-Fi Twin-Cool Inverter Split AC (Model – CS/CU-XU18XKYF): The price of the AC unit on Amazon is Rs.44,490/-
9. Sanyo 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – 15T5SCIA): The price of the AC unit from amazon is Rs. 33,990/-
10. IFB 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – IACI18GB5G3C): The price of the AC unit from the IFB site at Rs.45,490 /- and from amazon at Rs. 44,491/-
11. GODREJ 1.5 Ton Inverter Split AC (Model – GIC 18ATC3-WSA) – Rs. 34,999/-