You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Query on Masters for career path

    Interested in switching from an IT job to the teaching field? Want to know the best Master's course which can be done in distance mode? Find advice from our experts on this page which can help you to choose the best course and launch your career in teaching.

    I have a cousin who is married and has a kid. She is currently working for IT. She is looking forward to change her career path by doing MCA/MBA through distance learning so that she can opt for teaching.

    Please help in providing any suggestions on the course and institutions. The only request is that the degree should help in switching in case of admin job or for teaching.
  • Answers

    4 Answers found.
  • Teaching is a job which many of us like and many people try to switch to it from their present carer line. Teaching can be in a university or college or school and accordingly one has to acquire the relevant qualifications for it. If the ambition is for college/university teaching then one has to get the Masters degree (in regular or correspondence mode) in the relevant field followed by qualifying in National Eligibility Test (NET) and then can apply for various positions of lecturer post in various colleges and universities in our country. If one has an inclination for research then doing a PhD is also a good idea as after doing it one need not to go for NET and can directly apply for the lecturer positions.

    If one is looking for a school teaching assignment then the whole strategy will be different and one has to go for B.Ed. degree (in regular or correspondence mode) and only after that a large number of schools and institutions will be there where one can apply through the combined entrance tests or even directly depending upon the type of institution (Govt / Private / semi-funded / donation based).

    If your interests are towards primary education then some of the courses which can help you to enter that area are - BTC (Basic Training Certificate), PTC (Primary Teachers Certificate), ETE (Elementary Teacher Education), NTT (Nursery Teacher Training), DEd (Diploma in Education), TTC (Teachers Training Certificate), and JBT (Junior Basic Training).

    One thing that I want to add is that in this site itself there is a good compilation about most of the above courses, their details, and other information and you can visit those pages and get all the relevant details. If you want more details for a specific course you can of course put a new query by raising a fresh post in this section.

    Knowledge is power.

  • There are many ways to become a teacher.
    Presently your cousin is in IT. I hope she is a graduate. By doing MCA or M Tech or MBA, she can start teaching in any private college as a teacher. After completing the post-graduation she has to appear for the NET qualification and once she gets qualified in that test, she can apply for lecturer posts in various institutes and get the job with UGC scales. While working in college she can register for PhD so that she will have more chances for continuing in the teaching line. Recently I heard that UGC is going to make PhD a must to become a lecturer. Even PhD holders also should get qualified in NET for a teaching post. With PG qualification, your cousin can apply for a Junior lecturer post in junior colleges for teaching Intermediate students.
    Another option to choose a career in teaching, your cousin can go for B.Ed by correspondence course. Many institutes are offering B Ed by distance education mode. The following are some such institutes.
    1. Annamalai University
    2. Madurai Kamaraj University
    3. Kurukshetra University
    4, Indira Gandhi National Open University
    5, Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University
    6. Karnataka State Open University
    7. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University
    You can go to those websites and see the admission procedure and follow the same. The course duration will be 2 years. Once you complete this course you will become eligible to join as a teacher in high school or upper primary school. After B Ed you have to attend GTE and get qualified in that. Centre will conduct separately for Central government school and States will conduct for State school.
    You are also eligible to complete TTC(Teacher Training Certificate) which will make you eligible for a primary teacher post. You have to clear the written for getting selected to teacher post after completing the training.
    These are the various options we have to start a career in the teaching line.

    always confident

  • Your cousin is interested for the teaching profession though she is working in an IT concern with her basic degree in the graduation. However, her stream for the graduation is not known.
    She can persue her MCA in either of the modes - Regular Mode or Correspondence one. Keeping her engagement in the IT sector, she can go ahead for the correspondence mode thus taking up her studies in her convenient times. For MCA qualification, she must be conversant with the Mathematics up to graduation level so that she picks up basics of Mathematics being taught in MCA. You can choose either of the institution for your MCA course in the correspondence course. The following Institutions would prove to be ideal in your case -
    1) Indira Gandhi National Open University
    2) Manipal Univesity of Distance Education
    3) Karnataka Open University
    4) Annamalai University
    5) Kurukshetra University etc.
    You may have an oral interview to assess your passion and inclination towards this course.
    Once you qualify the said course with at least 55 percent marks or above, you would be entitled to appear in the NET test and passing the same, you would be offered for the post of lecturer ship provided you fare well in the interview taken up by panel of experts.
    Later, continue your Ph.D with the guidance of a competent guide so as to make your career permanently in a constituent engineering college.
    If interested for teaching in a high school, better take up B.Ed consisting of two year programme course through the distance mode for which the institutions are indicated. However, prefer to IGNOU for its excellent coverage of the course materials apart from your queries for the doubts clarified in the doubt removal session by the subject experts.
    You can also undertake Teacher Training Certificate making you eligible for your selection in a primary school.

  • As mentioned above, your cousins are doing a job in the IT sector and interested in making a career in the teaching field. So she should go ahead. There would not be any problem. There are many open universities through which she can do MCA or MBA, in distance mode. After completing the MBA/MCA, she can apply for the post of Assistant professor in a private college. As per UGC norms, One has to be qualified NET for getting a government job. Along with NET, PhD is also a compulsory requirement for lecturership in govt college. Apart from these, she can do B.ED in distance mode so that to be eligible for a teaching job in school. It is a two-year degree programme. There are many reputed universities in India which provide B.ED course in distance mode as follows:-
    1) Manipal Univesity of Distance Education
    2) Karnataka Open University
    3)Indira Gandhi open a university
    4) Annamalai University
    After doing B.ED, you would be eligible for a teaching post in primary or high school. CTET is also a required qualification for a teaching job in a central government school.

  • Sign In to post your comments