Yes. It is illegal to park a car in non-parking areas. If it happens police can take a picture of the same and a penalty may be imposed.
Generally, in cities and towns, we see this problem. Some places will be marked for parking the cars and we should park there only but not wherever we like. In some areas, the police may lift the cars also
and ask the owner to come and meet the police, pay a penalty and then only they can hand over your car to you. As per the new motor vehicle act 2019, the penalties are huge and we should be careful in parking the vehicle.
The following are the parking rules as per the new act.
1. Never park your vehicle in public places where it will become an obstruction to traffic,
2. One should park the vehicle as per the road signs or markings that will indicate the manner in which you have to park the vehicle.
3. One should not park their vehicle in no parking zones.
4. No vehicle should be parked on footpaths and very far away from the foot paths.
5. No parking in private places without permission from the owner of the place.
6. No parking on the wrong side of the road.
7. One should not park the vehicle on the path where there are unbroken white lines.
8. No parking in front of the entrance of any premises.
9. One should not park the vehicle on the bridges.