Mathematics learning would not create any problem with the child if the guide or the parents themselves take interest in their process of learning. We must apply the following tips to create interest within the mind frame of the child. The tips are indicated below-
1) Be a role model while teaching Mathematics to the kids -
Simply telling child to go through the text book of Mathematics would panic the child if he/ she lacks interest in the subject. Rather, you should change the attitude of the child towards Mathematics learning. As for example, you can ask the child to count the coins or notes without giving any assistance at the first instance and in case he errs, help him to learn with your patience. Your attention and love during the process of learning would motivate the child to learn fast.
2) Help should come from parents in the learning process of Mathematics at the initial stage-
You should ensure that the child solves the mathematical problems independently outside the school. Time to time ask the child how much it would take to cover the distance of 10 km if the speed of the scooter is 20 km/ hour. or any question striking in your mind if his class standard. Repeated such sessions will create interest in the child,
3) Be prepared to help the child in the midst of his confusion with the suitable examples-
If he is taught in the regular way regarding the his doubts, he is sure to do well in this subject since it will help the child for a better clarity in his approach.
4) Monitor the child homework assignment -
You must ensure that the child is comfortable in his class - work assignment. Explaining the different methods of solving of the same question would further arouse his interest towards this subject. Hence the parent should be a good mentor.
5) Hint out the ways of saving time - Tell your child to cram tables up to 50 so that in the process of calculations, he can save his timing. He must be conversant with the basic rules of Mathematics such as 1000 ^0 = 0 or 0^ 1000 = 0 if he is a student of a primary class.
6) Play games with the child in his leisure hours-
During the holidays, spare sometime for the child so that you can develop his interest in chess, dominoes, checkers,set, monopoly, cribbage etc. in the process of learning, he would apply his mathematical skills helping in his mathematical solving process.