Big data is a term that represents very large and hard-to-manage data. In addition to that, what is the organisation is going to do with those volumes of data? In big data, the volume of the data, how much data you will be receiving regularly ( Velocity) and how many types of data you will be receiving (Variety) are very important. A big data scientist or engineer has to analyse data to give insights that will enable the concerned to take apt decisions and bring in confidence to take decisions that will enable the industry to grow fast.
The first and foremost important qualification required for various jobs in this field is a degree in engineering or technology in Computer science or information technology. Some organisations may take other degree holders also if they have sufficient computer knowledge,
In addition to the above the candidate should complete his internship in the related field. The following skills are very important for getting a job in that line.
1. Programming Languages: The candidate should have some knowledge about the various languages that are useful for data analytics. This is required for coding.
2. Machine learning: This is very much necessary for data scientists and engineers to handle big volumes of data.
3. Data Mining: Data mining tools are very important for classifying the data received. So if the candidate is proficient in these tools, he may get preference over others. RapidMiner, Apache Mahout etc are some important data mining tools and proficiency in these tools is very much desired.
4. Predictive analytics: Using the data to make predictions that are useful for the top people to look into, the data scientist should have some knowledge of Predictive analytics.
5. Quantitative analysis: To do this analysis the candidate should have in-depth knowledge of mathematics, especially calculus and linear algebra and statistics.
In addition to the above knowledge about the tools that are useful for data visualisation is also very important.
So you should think of doing certification courses in some of the above areas so that chances of getting a job in this will become high. Try to go for internships in the above areas that will give you good knowledge.
So you have to
1. Complete your degree
2. Do some certification courses or internships in some of the areas mentioned above
then start applying for various jobs.
Don't wait for a particular company or a particular role. Join any software company in any role related to the field and start working. You can gain experience so that you can shift to a big company for a bigger role.
The various roles that are available in this area are
1. Data Scientists
2. Dat Engineers
3. Computer Engineers
4. Big Data Analysts
5. Big Data Developers
I wish you all the best.