You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Which is good for health - Food cooked in a pressure cooker or in a vessel?

Members,
    Which is good for health - Food cooked in a pressure cooker or in a vessel? Members, in earlier days, we were using earthern vessels to cook our food, Later we shifted to use metal vessels like copper, aluminium and steel etc. Decades back pressure cookers got introduced for fast cooking.

Many say that the food cooked in cookers like Prestige and Hawkins etc; are not good for health. Only the food cooked in open vessels especially in an earthern vessel is good for health.

Do you agree with this? What are the advantages and disadvantages of pressure cooker?
    Whenever I use the Pressure Cooker, this question comes to my mind but the answer is not known so far. Same way I have a doubt regarding non-stick utensils too.

Now earthen vessels too are bad for our health as the clay itself is poisonous by the presence of contaminated water and other pollutions.

Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

No Ms. Chitra, No. The earthern vessels are very good. The impurities and poisonous effect of the clay and water gets removed as the earthern vessels are heated up at high temperature. So, no earthern pot is bad to cook food. There is a road side hotel near my town on the highway which is very famous for dishes cooked in earthern pots. There is a sale of more than 500 lunch in a day. People like dishes cooked in earthern pots.
    No life without Sun

Ok, that is a new information for me. I thought earlier earthen vessels were good but now due to pollution that too will be bad for health. Yes, people like dishes cooked in earthen pots as hardly any house use such pots even today. We have one at home which we use to make fish curry. There is a tea shop near my house, wherein tea is given in an earthen cup, as you said the sale here too is very high and they give masala tea too.
    Regards
    Chitra
    "Do not give up, things might not favour you always"

Believe it or not , daily morning I wake at four and after having bath, my first job is to cook rice in the vessel which takes 10 to 15 minutes. I am totally against the Pressure cooker technique of cooking rice and that is tasteless. I always make the point that the starch gets evaporated and diluted in the vessel itself and I know the exact quantity of water to be added to the rice to have good rice formation. It should be pleasing to look and eat.If we add more water, the rice will lose its sheen and looks mingled.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan,
    It is a wonder to hear that you can cook rice within 10 to 15 minutes in a open vessel. I cannot believe it. A pressure cooker takes just 10 minutes. Other vessels will take more than 30 minutes to get the rice cooked properly.

I expect other members to confirm my response. Ladies expert in cooking please throw some light on cooking of rice please.

No life without Sun

Surely Sun, I cook four tumblers of rice every day directly through vessel and adding right amount of water is the highlight to get optimum cooking of rice in lesser minutes.
    K Mohan

Mr. Mohan,
    You have committed yourself with 10 to 15 minutes of cooking. Now you say within lesser minutes. What is correct? Do you cook within 10 to 15 minutes or not. Just try and note down the time tomorrow when you become a cook in the morning, and post the exact time taken to cook four tumblers of rice in an open vessel.

@ Please know that I too become a good cook whenever my wife goes on leave to her mothers home.

No life without Sun

Just now I cooked the rice within 12 minutes directly through the vessel without separating the starch that makes formation through cooking. The rice will be nice to eat in taste.
    K Mohan

Mr. Mohan, I am in a dilemma whether to believe it or not. Was it a recooking of an already cooked rice? Anyway, If it is original cooking, this can be called as the eighth wonder of this world, I think. Let other members trust your cooking ability within 12 minutes.
    No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments