Looking for NEET / JEE Coaching? Enquire Now
You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you know writing on Indian Currency note is punishable act?

Indian Currency note, you may often find something written on it as for their memory. You may find "A weds B" like words, or numerical words, you may find some calculation done on the water mark window. Its really a peculiar habit we find on few section of the people. I still don't understand why do they write on it?

Very few people know that writing on Indian currency not is a punishable act under Section 35A of the Banking Regulation Act 1949. To provide clean to the public RBI has already banned on stapling.

If we go through the internet news, Now from 1st January 2014 the bank will not except the notes on which it is written something. In more straight words, you can not deposit that note in the bank. As per the news, Indian Government losses more than 2000 Crore each year just because of written on currency note.

So, please do not write on note and if you see someone doing it, please stop them. Currency is our identity and pride, please keep it clean.
    Yes I know about it. In my very childhood I was supposed to write something on the currency but my father saw this and stopped me. He then told that I should not write anything on the note, he explained me that the note is note permanently ours so we should not write on it. He said so as I was very small to understand all these laws .. crimes etc. We should pass on this message to each and everyone.

Thanks for sharing to all.

Thanks,
    Pritam.

Thanks Jeets. I didn't know this. A very useful information. I will take care of this next time. At present I sometimes do this. And also I will tell other people around about this.

We Indians have a habit what the rules say is not the one follows . In my early childhood onwards I heard about this law and I didn't wrote anything in the currency notes not yet. But several time I have witnessed as some of my friends do it.
    With Regards
    Joseph

Public needs to take the warning issued by RBI seriously as Banks will be refusing to accept the defaced currency notes and such defaced currency may loose the character of being legal tender any where in the world w.e.f. 01-01-2014. Public should deposit all the defaced currency notes with the Bank well before 31-12-2013 to avoid a last minute rush. RBI might have moved the new replenishment currency in anticipation through the currency chests all over India. Neither accept nor hold defaced currency and get rid of all mutilated, defaced currency to avoid losses.

Likely Impact: The people holding black money and that too in the shape of defaced currency will be compelled to deposit and recycle the currency. While the Government and RBI will come to know the estimates of currency in circulation, we may get rid of a very smaller party of the black money held in the shape of defaced currency, which will not have any monetary value after 31-12-2013.

Act now and deposit defaced currency even if it is in black or white. Government should not extend the deadline as it will not be in national interest.

Regards,
    Ashok Goyal

I think this rule must be implemented in full and all the wrong doers must be punished as even the bank staff has the habit of defacing the notes with numbers on the white visible area which is also punishable.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

It is very wrong to write on any currency. The reason is that this currency are legal tender representing the country in question. It is will result to an act of un patrotism if a citizen writes on the country's currency.
    Adesola Adeyeye

• Sign In to post your comments