You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why fairs are held on Makar Sankranti?

It is a well known fact that fairs are held on Makar Sankranti festival. In my childhood I used to go on foot to a fair held near my village. It is organizing till now every year.

It starts from 15th January and ends on 21st January every year. The Ramleela programme is shown here by the local artist. People watch it and enjoy it. On the last day when the marriage of Lord Shri Ram and Goddess sita is held people consider it as the real marriage and consider it a secret act.

Not only in my village but in other places too the fair are held on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.
    Is there any logic behind it?

Please share it.
    Makara Sankranthi is the harvest festival and naturally connected with the farmers and his produce. So fairs are part the activities to highlight the village atmosphere even in the cities.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Different types of fairs held in different part of India during Makara Sankranti. During the Makar Sankranti festival, so many mela or fairs held's in different region's of India. A biggest fair held at Ganga Sagar in west Bengal, where the most scared river "Ganga" enters the sea, thousands of pilgrims and Sadhu the holy men come here for the holy bath on the day of Makar Sankranti.
    The bullock festival, cattle fair held on Makar Sankranti at different places, where many camels, bullocks and horses are sold and purchased by animal lover people. One of the famous and unique fair is held at Rajgir, Bihar.
    Thus, festivals are the part of our life and fairs are the parts of festival for enjoyment.

-Chintan

• Sign In to post your comments