You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Festivals

Have you celebrated Makar Sankranti today?

Makar Sankranti is an auspicious occasion celebrated differently in different regions in our country. Winter has by now established itself and our kitchens are full of nature's bountiful. So naturally this time becomes an occasion to celebrate with friends and family and also express our gratitude to nature. In India the occasion of Makar Sankranti is observed widely in different ways. In some region it is celebrated as Pongal, some others mark it as Uttarayan(Kite festival) and some as Lohri.

In my place, that is Assam, we celebrate it as Magh Bihu or Bhogali Bihu. It is a harvest festival. The eve of Makar Sankranti is celebrated with community feast and offerings of Ladu, Pitha are made to the God of Fire in the early morning next day.

I would like to know from my ISC friends whether you have celebrated the occasion of Makar Sankranti? If yes what do you call it in your region and how you celebrate it.
    Dear Author,
    You have explained this festival very nicely with all its variations available in our country.
    When I was kid, I loved a lot to celebrate it as Lohri. In our hostel compound, we used to have loud music with punjabi dance. I still miss those days. Although I am not Punjabi, but being in India we have freedom to celebrate whatever we want to. This year, I am in office right now, trying to finish my task, so that at least, I will reach home a little bit earlier.

Padmini

Living & Learning- simultaneous processes!

Though almost 2400 km away from my ancestral home at West Bengal, I have celebrated the Sankranti with my family and friends yesterday by having different types of rice cakes and sweets. In West Bengal we celebrate the festival with rice-cakes (PITHE-PULI) and there we call it POUSH-SANKRANTI. Yesterday we even played the thrilling kites in a pleasant breeze!

The day is said to have marked the end of Winter and the arrival of spring in India. Scientifically, in the northern hemisphere, Sun's transition from Sagittarius to Capricorn takes place during the winter solstice. Henceforth Sun resumes its journeys northward. This is known as Makar sakranti. The days gradually now become lengthier.

Yes, I have celebrated the makar sankranti with my family. In early morning the sky was clean after one hour it was full of flying colorful and different kind of kites. We passed our full day on the terrace. Let night we also fly lamps with kite.

Yes Makara Sankranthi was well celebrated at our home and we prepared special sweet pongal after 7.30 am as that was the auspicious time set by the priest. Since it is advised by the elders not to use the mixie in the kitchen on this day, my wife prepared wada by making the necessary ingredients from the manual grinder. Being big family all the relatives and friends visited our home and exchanged greetings on this occasion. We have the tradition of prostrating before the elders of the family and that was done. Young ones enjoyed the kite flying to their satisfaction.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Friends, I must admit that we all are enlightened by the amazingly detailed and informative responses posted by you.
    Regards,
    Runa N. Borah.

• Sign In to post your comments