You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Higher education system in India

Higher education in India implies education after 10+2 stage (ten years of primary and secondary education and 2 years of higher secondary education). The first graduate degree, the bachelors degree is obtained after 3 years education in the fields of arts, science, commerce etc. and 4 years in case of most of the professional streams like engineering, architecture etc. (in case of medicine and law it is more). In the post graduation phase master's degree like M.Sc., M.Com., M.Tech., M.D.S.. etc. usually takes 2 years.
    After master's degree, research degrees like M.Phil., Ph.D. etc take variable time depending upon individual student. D.Sc. and D.Litt. degrees are awarded by some universities after Ph.D. for original research.
    In addition to degree programs, a number of Diploma and certificate programs are also offered by many institutes and universities. The world fame IIM's offer a diploma which is equivalent to MBA degree.
    The educational institutions are comprised of universities, deemed universities and institutions of national importance.
    Let us discuss and share our knowledge about higher education system in India.
    I think up to 10 th class the system of education is understandable. But after that the whole system is confusing. Many students are misguided to take this stream or that stream by those who does not have the right knowledge. When a student is interested in maths, he is forced to take maths. Like wise if a student is increased in commerce subject, he is forced to do MPC course. Likewise after intermediate, many does not want degree to be completed, instead insisting for Engineering or medicine which is again four year course. Any way in Engineering too much options must be there for students to make their presence felt.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Higher education in India is picking up even in third tier cities and rural areas.
    But higher education is not affordable as it was earlier. Fresh graduates always have a dilemma, whether to take a job or opt for higher education.
    My take is:
    If it is affordable, then opt for higher education. A Master's degree will help in the career.
    Today we have many careers beyond just engineering and medicine.
    From my experience I can name a few like the most upcoming one is in Jewellery Design , Jewellery Manufacturing and Jewellery Merchandising. If a person has an interest in design, is creative and has ample imagination, an eye for finesse, then this is a suitable choice!

Autograph your work with excellence!

The current higher education system doesn't provide any recognition to students who left their studies in between. The DU had came up with the idea of four years degree course in which if a student can left after one,two and three years of course and accordingly provided with recognition certificate to student. For example after three if student wants to opt out he is awarded with simple degree , after two years diploma is awarded and after four years honours degree is awarded.
    But the idea had been dropped due to resistance from various stakeholders including some student groups also.

Regards,
    Shubham.

My maternal grandfather got a job after he passed 'fourth form'. Later people got job after they passed 'sixth form'. Then very less people went for higher studies and such facilities were also very less. Most of the students had to go far and even to next states and provinces.

When I was searching for a job, a reasonable job needed only SSLC as the basic eligibility and graduation was a sufficiently higher level study. Post graduation was taken by those who did not get any job or those who specifically aimed for particular jobs.

But now the 'higher studies' are going higher and higher and people remain students even in their thirties and early forties. But the 'high' level of the education they get is not manifest in all cases. The value addition is not felt by society or industry.
    I feel the quantity increase has diluted the quality.

Higher education in India is in very good shape if you compare this with the primary education in schools. But if you observe carefully, the research based degree like Ph.D. or D.Lit. is not in good shape as in the foreign countries like America, European countries, etc.

In India, I can say that the bachelor's degree (graduation) and master's degree (post graduation) are provided by college or universities offer good syllabus, and teaching with practical knowledge. But this not happening in schools and most higher education (research). As an academician I have observed this is a primary problem in our education system. We have develop the schools to provide practical or activity based teaching. And provide resources to the research scholar (Ph.D. or D.Lit. students) so that they do their research work, freely. I saw that most universities and research institutes play politics rather than providing resources to the research scholar.

Life is full of surprises and compromises!

• Sign In to post your comments