You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Do you prefer rice cooked in a pressure cooker or in an open vessel?

Members,
    Rice is a staple food of Indians. There are various means and measures to cook rice. We have open vessels, Pressure cookers, specially manufactured rice cookers, and also solar cookers.

What is your preference? Why?
    Being diabetic I prefer rice being cooked in an open vessel so that after boiling starch can be poured out. The rice cooked in pressure cooker without removing starch is tastier as in this case starch cannot be removed. However texture of rice cooked in pressure cooker is not as good as in the case of open vessel cooked rice. The type of fuel used i.e. LPG, CNG, solar energy may not have any direct bearing on taste. Now a days rice cookers are increasingly being used. I don't know if it is possible to remove starch in such case or not.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

Yes I like the rice to be cooked in open vessel and there are reasons for it. If we cook the rice through pressure cooker, the vitamins in the form of starch being evaporated through vapor . So the aroma of the rice and its vitamin is lost. I am fond of cooking rice in open vessel and I am doing so in my home since long time. Moreover it hardly takes 12 minutes to cook starch inclusive rice food which is very tastier. I have seen children liking rice which is cooked through open vessel than pressure cooker or rice cooker. This is my valid experience in the kitchen.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I prefer open vessel because for those who like porridge they can only get it this way. I have learned how to make a rice porridge and it does taste good if made with normal rice cooking type method. That being said, if I am not cooking then mostly family members cook with the cooker. So whenever I have a choice then I prefer to make the rice in a cooker.

In the years before 1990 many houses used Kerosine stove, wood fuel stove and even Gas stove but cooking the rice only in open pot (either made of clay/Bronze/Aluminium/Stainless steel) where all chemicals (though limited extent used) used while cultivating the rice would get away by vapour from boiling openly. Even in middle class people are cooking like that. Moreover they have time to cook. Now we have no time to cook like that and also by modernized thinking it is bad to cook in the conventional way. Strictly speaking now only we should cook rice like that as the quantum of chemicals that too unknown named are much used while cultivating.
    Above all the way of cooking should be very serious and not as casual as followed nowadays. Concentration, devotion should be given while cooking; crying, quarreling, disputing, arguing should be avoided on any nature while cooking. If this is followed the crowd in hospitals will come down.

I prefer rice cooked in pressure cooker. Some days ago, I tried open vessel but I don't like its taste. Here many people perfer open vessel then there must be some benefit. So I will try open vessel again.

Ramachandran Pattabhiraman,
    You said it rightly - Above all the way of cooking should be very serious and not as casual as followed nowadays. Concentration, devotion should be given while cooking; crying, quarreling, disputing, arguing should be avoided on any nature while cooking. If this is followed the crowd in hospitals will come down.

I remember my mother who used to keep the rice pot very neat and tidy with the holy ash applied on the pot prior to keeping it on the burner.

But we are in the world of fast food where there is no time for such things. While a cooker takes less than ten minutes to blow its whistle, an open vessel consumes 45 to 60 minutes to reach the boiling point.

My wife always prefers open vessel cooking. The rice water extracted and filtered after cooking forms a natural good hot drink. And if kept for the night, it becomes an excellent cool drink to be consumed early in the morning.

No life without Sun

I have a point for Mohan. Cooking food in pressure cooker preserves nutrients. There is more loss of nutrients in food cooked in an open vessel. These are established facts.

I cook rice in an open pan and don't drain out the water. I maintain a ratio of 1:2; 1 glass rice cooked in 2 glasses of water. Bring to boil and simmer covered, till the water evaporates. It takes around 10 minutes for the rice to be done.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

Juana,
    Are you sure that rice can be cooked in an open pan with a ratio of 1:2 in ten minutes for the rice to get cooked properly. I doubt. Please re-check practically, and post your response. As per my experience, the water takes more than 5 minutes to reach its boiling point. Then the rice is poured into the boiling water. It will take more than 10 minutes to get properly cooked.

I want some other lady members to prove Juana's statement.

No life without Sun

I love rice cooked in a pressure cooker! Its more tastier. But mom always cooks at home in a open vessel. I remember that when I was young I used to pray everyday for guests to come unexpectedly so that mom is forced to cook rice in a pressure cooker. (I pray some days even now!)

And there is another thing. Call me childish, but when rice is cooked in a cooker, it sticks neatly to the bottom. And they can be cut out like pieces of cake. I do that, even now, only from home.

Sid

Lets all try to create a better tomorrow for India.

The method you employ is different from mine. I add the rice to the water and bring it to a boil.

There are other factors that come into play -
    1. The strength of the flame
    2. The type of vessel used
    3. How much surface of the vessel is in touch with the flame
    4. Lastly the quality of rice - I use basmati

I also said "around 10 minutes", not 10 minutes.

Leadership is having a compelling vision, a comprehensive plan, relentless implementation, and talented people working together - Alan Mulally

Juana,
    I am sure, you must be taking not less than 25 minutes to get your Basmathi boiled in any state of flame or vessel or touch of surface. Be sure to post your response. Around 10 minutes can be 5 minutes or 15 minutes. I am not a cook, but an emergency cook who takes care of my kitchen during the absence of my good wife taking a long break.

No life without Sun

Sun,

Unlike you, I cook everyday, so my estimate is correct.

I don't know about other rice, but basmati needs to be soaked for 15 mins before it's cooked. That hastens the cooking process.

The water does not evaporate completely it gets absorbed by the grains of rice.

Your experience maybe with cooking some other variety of rice.

That flame and vessel can increase/decrease the time required for cooking cannot be disputed.

Some vessels are better conductors of heat, because of the metals and technology used in their making.

Similarly, size of burner and the quality of flame matters.

Juana,
    I caught your point. It is soaking of rice that matters. In that case, I am right with 25 minutes (15 minutes for soaking and 10 minutes for cooking) Even if it is so, I don't believe it, dear Juana. The cooking of that soaked rice will certainly take more than 15 minutes to get cooked properly. Please experiment it tomorrow before you send your captain to ship or shore, and children to school,, and report me with the actual time taken to cook your Basmati rice.

No life without Sun

Sun,

Bringing my family into the discussion was unnecessary. Let's stick to the discussion without getting personal.

You can continue to be eristical; for the sake of arguing. But, your comments can be taken seriously only if you have experience cooking a particular kind of rice, in specific conditions.

You disregard scientific facts on vessels and flame, just to prove you know better. That itself evades logic.

The way you like your rice cooked might be different from how I prefer mine. Overcooking makes a mushy mess of rice, which I detest. I like each grain of rice to be separate. Something you might not appreciate if you haven't grown up eating rice that way.

At our home, we use the red variety of rice. It needs more time for cooking. In present days if it is cooked in open vessel using LPG, then it is time consuming and expensive, as all our main food is rice. Hence what we do is first cook it in a pressure cooker with at least 6 to 7 times water. Allow four or five whistles and remove from flame and keep it aside. By the time cooking of side dishes are over, the pressure cooked rice will be ready. Then the excess water is drained in the traditional way of putting on a stand.
    As Juana said, the parameters value changes depending on:
    The rice variety: raw rice and Basmati varieties cook faster
    the taste and preference as to what stage it should be cooked: some prefer each grain to be well separated and easy dropping in some homes they need it a little mash.
    the vessel used : Aluminium gets warm faster and loses heat faster.
    The quality and quantity of water: hard or soft water make the difference in cooking time and taste
    And also the geography and ambience:
    One's own consistency has to be developed by trials and experience.
    We have come from cooking in open vessels on wood fire ,then moved on to charcoal , to Kerosene(both wick stove and pump stove) LPG and also to electric rice cooker and induction stove. In Kerala 'Thermal cooker' also available and the main popular brand is 'Chakson'.

Juana,
    Whatever may be the case with the rice or heat or utencil or mussy mess of rice or separate rice. In any case, I doubt whether rice can be cooked in an open pan with a ratio of 1:2(One cup rice - Two cups water). Unbelievable.

No life without Sun

Sun,

Perhaps it's time to broaden horizons and learn from someone else's experience.

Dear Sun,

Are you surprised to find me here? Well I have reconnected with you all. The first thing which I did was to find your post here as it had always been.

My preference would be to cook in a device which would be the fastest mode of cooking and my vote is for pressure cooker.

Radha Muralidhar.

Dear Radha Muralidhar,
    Welcome back. I agree that pressure cooker is the fastest mode of cooking anything. We all agree. But the question now is not about the Pressure cooker or the Open pan. It is the time taken to cook rice in an open pan and the ratio used. Juana says that she can cook Basmati rice (after soaking it for 15 minutes) in an open pan with a ratio of 1: 2(one rice and two water)within or around 10 minutes which I say impossible.

Can you cook any rice in an open pan with such a ratio? You should be an experienced cook of your home. What is your good response to this rice cooking problem?

No life without Sun

Lady members,
    I really wonder why there is no response from lady members of ISC except Juana. Does it mean that all the lady members of ISC don't cook at home using a pressure cooker or an open vessel?

Come on ladies. Join me and Juana to bring out the facts about cooking rice.

No life without Sun

I was used to eating rice cooked in an open vessel. It consumed more time. Never kept a watch how much time as mom used to cook. However, after gettibg married I started eating rice cooked in pressure cooker as my in laws preferred in that way.

Earlier I preferred rice cooked in an open vessel. But now my preference is pressure cooked rice. I take rice and water in the ratio of 1:2. And pressure cook it. 5 mins on high flame till the pressure cooker is full of steam and about to release the build up steam then I reduce the flame and let it simmer for 3-5 minutes. This way no vapour is released and there is no loss of nutrients.

I have never used a rice cooker.

Keep Reading On

Dear ISC ladies and gentlemen,
    It is a special request from Sun. Please spare few minutes on a holiday, preferably tomorrow being Sunday, to experiment this.

Take a cup of rice(the rice you prefer), add two cups water; put them in an open vessel of your choice; lit the burner; place the vessel on the burner; note down the time.

When you find the rice has been cooked well, switch off the burner; note down the time; Find the difference between the timings you noted.

Report here the time taken to cook, and difficulties experienced during cooking.

No life without Sun

I generally don't have any preference on the way of cooking rice. I am good as long as the cooked rice is good to eat. As many members mentioned, the rice cooked in open vessel is good for health but I felt cooking in open vessel will take more time and a person should stand next to the stove to monitor the vessel.
    Cooking in a pressure cooker will be very easy. A learner also can easily cook in pressure cooker.

Whatever happens life should move on...
    Thanks Karthik

• Sign In to post your comments