You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Interesting information about Ayurveda

Ayurveda is one the oldest systems of Medicine. A lot of Ayurveda formulations contain metals and the branch which deals with this ancient alchemy & pharmacology is called as RasaShastra.
    The development of RasaShastra (in 7th century AD) has revolutionized Ayurveda. Various pharmaceutical techniques convert the drug into very fine, absorb-able, non-toxic and therapeutically more effective. Bhasma formulations are considered the best example of this.

Nanotechnology is the technology of 21st century. Nano-medicine is the medical application of nanotechnology. It is the manipulation of matter with at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nano-meters. Bhasmas possess the pharmaco-dynamics similar to nano-medicines and the particle size of the bhasmas range between 1 to 100 nano-meters. Hence, nano-particles have been used as effective medicine since centuries in Ayurveda. Researchers are trying to use Gold and silver nano-particles to treat various diseases while Gold bhasma & silver bhasma has been used in Ayurveda since ages.

(Just now I have read this in a report. I would like to know the details of nano-medicines and its use in Ayurveda from Members who have in-depth knowledge of the issue.)

I have no much concrete knowledge of Ayurveda system of medicines but it is our traditional system of medicines. Many disease can be cured by Ayurveda. Oil massaging is very popular in Ayurveda. I want to share a habit of my grandfather. Every night around 7or 8 pm, he used to take a copper tumbler filled with water and put his gold and a silver ring in the tumbler and leave it for the whole night. In the morning, he drink the water in empty stomach. He also suggested me to drink in the same way but I never took it seriously. I don't know whether it was right or wrong. Now, through some articles over the internet, I came to know that very small quantity of gold and silver is needed for our body. I think he was right in drinking gold ring soaked water.

A true soldier needs both military and spiritual training-S C Bose.

There was a tradition of giving 'Ora Marundu" or' ' Urai Marundu" to infants in our place and in our family also.. That is made by rubbing(grinding) various herbal medicines on a medicine grinding stone adding few drops of breast milk. The resultant medicine mix is then touched on the tongue of the infant.

The uniqueness here is a very thin fibre of gold is stuck into 'Vayambu"(Vacha) and that also gets rubbed along with the Vayambu which is one ingredient. The rubbing just one swipe up or down on the stone, and not more. Alternatively a gold finger ring can be rubbed .

I do not remember all the ingredients now. But what I recollect are Vasamabu or Vayambu; Kadukkai, Chitharathai, Jaathikkai or nutmeg etc. I am giving the names as in Malayalam or Tamil.

• Sign In to post your comments