You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Why some region girls not use sindhoor tilak on their foreheads?

In Southern India we see all Hindu girls usually put sindhoor tilak on their foreheads but when I worked in Mumbai north states women unmarried and even some married women won't put any sindhoor tilak on their foreheads. What could be the reason for not putting Sindhoor tilak by northern region. Is there any specific reason for that. Knowledgeable members please respond to this question.
    Keeping sindoor in the forehead that too just above the place between two eyebrows is advised for all persons especially for ladies. That center is a vibrating center through which any person can be mesmerized easily. To save ourselves from others action of mesmerizing our elders advised to have a sindoor in that place. Sindoor is on the other hand good as it contains turmeric in it which is auspicious. If our elders told the reason of mesmerizing etc., our younger generation will not agree and to avoid such complication etc., our elders told the sindoor as auspicious and since the elders used the word auspicious our present youngsters (those who did not like to obey the elders words) neglect to have sindoor in that forehead.
    To confirm ourselves the spot of mesmerizing,we can test with our index finger to keep straight to that center and just waving roundly whereas we have to see the point of index finger with our both eyes. we will feel some change in us.

By applying Sindhoor or Tilak on the forehead it is the testimony to show others that the women is married and she follows the customs. But in Metros I have also seen that the girls of lesser age who were got married at small age, wont show to others by revealing Mangalsutra or Tilak on their forehead. I think that is stupid thinking. When the girl gets married, she should always free proud for having become a house hold and sooner she would be undertaking family responsibility. By the way no one is going to give award for sporting without Tilak or Sindhoor even after married. So it all depends on the women on how to dress and portray herself.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is a topic discussed to extent of being battered and kneaded to dough.
    Customs and habits vary from place to place and with community and sects. It also changes with times. Even it is also the personal choice and freedom whether to follow customs or not.
    Let us be fair minded and allow people to choose what they want as far as the same is within the confines of normal decency, civility and well within the laws and rules in force? Also please note that there can be many who may be questioning what we do or don' do. Do we like that?
    If the question is just academic doubt, then it is better to get such things clarified from some experienced elders in the family or familiarity than discussing in open forum as it can impinge on someone's freedom and feelings.
    To say generally, these are mostly certain customs started and followed for certain reasons as per situations in certain times. Now those situations have changed and such habits and customs may be just relics. So some people may like not to follow same, while some may continue with them.
    To avoid unnecessary repetition, I give below links of threads where the 'sindoor' topic was discussed.
    Thread1; thread 2; thread 3; thread4

Without going into regional details, I think it is purely a personal choice of the individual concerned to follow any custom/tradition or not.
    With the modernization, many traditional customs which are not being considered as particularly relevant in the present context, are being dispensed with.
    Educated working girls with modern outlook are generally withdrawing themselves from following any custom blindly. It is not only sindoor, many other changes can be noticed in all facets including attire. Toe rings, anklets and jewelry pieces are not being worn by educated working women nowadays.
    Even in India many Hindu customs are not being followed by other people who have their own customs and traditions.
    Even dupatta (long scarf) for covering head is not being worn by women with modern thoughts and outlook.
    Thus perhaps there is no need of pondering over such issues which are of little value from academic point of view.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

I cannot clearly understand why these customs and so called regulations are being forced on girl's or for that matter on women alone? I t should indeed be a personal choice as to what to wear or what not.
    The customs do change across regions. There is no point in harping on the so called outdated traditional customs which may not hold any particular meaning in the current situation.
    Education provides you an insight into thinking practically before agreeing to anything blindly. A properly and truly educated person will never follow a custom just because it has been preached from times immemorial. If you are educated in the real sense of the word ( hopefully not just earned the mark sheets), you will definitely question every aspect of what has been brought to your attention instead of just following the tradition.

Live....and Let Live...!

Bhushan, your title gives a suggestion that putting sindoor on the forehead is something mandatory. Is it so? India is known for her diversity and we need to be broadminded enough to accept that people from different regions follow different cultures and traditions. To follow a tradition or culture is more or less a personal choice though we are still bound by certain societal commitments. Further, I don't agree with your view that it is only the Hindu women down south who use sindoor; it is definitely used in many regions across India.
    "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." -Robert Frost

Putting vermilion (sindoor) on the forehead and on the hair partition is mandatory for Hindu married women across the country irrespective of the region to which they belong. It is a sign of marital status of women in addition to the sacred 'mangala sutram' they wear after marriage.

In Hinduism, applying 'tilakam / tilak' on the forehead is mandatory even for unmarried girls and for men as well.

But due to cultural assimilation and other reasons better known to everyone, gradually men discontinued applying 'tilak' on their forehead. But they do occasionally during festive seasons.

So also the unmarried girls / women too discontinued applying 'tilak'. And now this has spread to the married women too. Many of them don't feel like following this culture for reasons better known to them.

After all, it's a personal thing and no compulsion.

-----------------
    Thanks & Regards
    Kalyani

• Sign In to post your comments