You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Shelf-life of present-day singers and modern songs

Do you remember Hema Sardesai and her popular song 'Awaara bhanware'? Do we remember that immensely popular song 'Bheegi honth teri, pyasa dil mera' sung by Kunal Ganjawala, or Baba Sehgal's popular songs? Can we instantly recollect the popular Punjabi songs of Daler Mehandi?

On the other hand, we still enjoy Manna Dey's 'Aye mere zohra jabeen' or 'Aye mere pyare watan'. We always hum Kishore Kumar's 'Dukhi man mere' or 'Khai-ke pan banaraswaala'. Who can forget Mohd. Rafi's 'Abhi na jao chhodkar' or Lata's 'pyar kiya to darrna kya'. All of these songs are more than 40 years old.

I would like to know why do the present singers fade away within 10 to 12 years? Why don't the modern songs pass the test of time? Is it due to the lower quality of lyrics and music, or due to the frequent change of test of the youngsters? This situation is applicable not only in case of Hindi songs, but also in respect of songs of other languages.

Note that the purpose of this thread is not to belittle the present-generation singers. I sincerely expect a healthy and detailed discussion on this thread, which is incidentally my 300-th Forum post.
    Congrats Partha on your 300th forum thread. Good going!

Regarding the topic of this thread - I feel perhaps one of the reasons could be that many of the present singers get lured away by the lucrative money offered for performances at public functions, weddings, stage performances and the like and do not as such wish to continue in the film industry. All they have to do is to sing songs of the previous generation of singers and earn good bucks.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Initially the Bollywood songs were ridiculed compared to classical masterpieces rendered by the likes of M. S. Subbalakshmi, G. N. Balasubramaniam, M. Balamuralikrishna, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan, Bhimsen Joshi, D. V. Paluskar, Kishori Amonkar, Kumar Gandharva etc. Some of such maestro associated themselves with the Bollywood also directly or indirectly. Historically there were Tansen, Baiju Bawra and Amir Khusrow etc. Thus we can see that the music is a dynamic thing and goes on changing with the time. The choices, preferences and priorities of the individuals changes with the passage of time. I doubt if the people of present generation relish the old Bollywood song, the way my generation relishes.
    The generation gap used to be there always, but in the computer and internet age, it has widened much. Nowadays, perhaps a computer can be programmed to sing even better than all maestro put together. Music is already being synthesized.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

#566784: I beg to differ. The first point which I want to mention is that Baba Sehgal or Daler Mehandi did not frequently sing in films. Their earlier popularity was due to video songs.

Secondly, in earlier days also, prominent singers used to perform in stages. I myself saw Manna-da, Kishore-da, Hemant Kumar (Hemanta Mukhopadhyay) and Lata-ji giving stage performance many a time. So, the shelf-life of a singer can't be related to stage performance.

"Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Yes I could instantly recollect all the songs you mentioned in the first para/line. I could also instantly recollect all the songs you mentioned in the second para. I think famous songs remain stuck in our brains no matter how old they get. They have a very long shelf life.
    Another factor that plays a role is what age were you when you first got exposure to those songs. In my experience, I have a higher chance of remembering lyrics of songs I heard when I was a kid as compared to the songs I hear now. I will quite easily be able to sing a song that was released when I was in class 3, where as I would have difficulty in singing a song that was released 2 months back.
    On a another note - heartiest congratulations for 300 forum posts in ISC. Great going.

Regards,
    Farheen

• Sign In to post your comments