You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Health benefits of guava

Sometime I feel that guava is a very neglected fruit for Indians. Nobody bothers about guava in front of mango, litchi, grapes, apple, oranges or pomegranates. However, this neglected fruit has various benefits. Some of these benefits are mentioned below. In future, I am planning to write a detailed article on various benefits of guava.

Guava's role in weight loss: Guava is very helpful for those who want to lose weight without compromising their intake of proteins, vitamins and fiber. Guava is very high in roughage and rich in vitamins, proteins and minerals, but it has no cholesterol and a low number of digestible carbohydrates. Raw guava also has less sugar as compared to apples, oranges, grapes, and other fruits. Adding a medium-sized guava to our lunch helps us to check the hunger for a long time. It can also help with weight gain in lean, thin people. This is probably due to its wealth of nutrients, which keep the metabolism regulates and helps to promote the proper absorption of nutrients.

Guava's role in controlling diabetes: An intake of guava can also help those patients who suffer from diabetes. The high level of dietary fiber in guava helps to regulate the absorption of sugar by the body, which decreases the chances of major spikes and drops in insulin and glucose in the body. Studies have shown that consuming guava can help prevent the appearance of type-2 diabetes.

In addition, guava is also helpful to maintain good eyesight, prevent various types of cancer, resist scurvy, check dysentery and many other health-related problems.

Let us give guava its due importance!
    I do like soft guavas, especially the pink variety. Slice one, sprinkle a little salt and chaat masala/chilli powder on it and...heavenly bites!

Frankly I am never too bothered about health benefits about this and that. Just enjoy what you eat, I say! I bother about such things only when the doctor will say to eat this or that or don't eat this or that specifically in relation to whatever ailment it is I have at that particular time.

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Doctors nowadays insist the sugar patient to take guava instead of other fruits. With the increase of diabetes patients in the country, the price of guava is moving sky-wards!
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Perhaps one of the most beautiful effect of guava is that, it is comparatively much cheaper cost wise compared to other fruits. Allahabad, the city of Nehru and Amitabh Bachchan has a distinguished variety of guava which is red inside. However nowadays guava imported from Thialand is available in market which is much superior in quality. Eating only one such guava may prove enough to feel satiated. In my city Lucknow, guava is available in abundance during its season which is aproaching fast.
    Many local varieties have a lot of seeds. Many people prefer the fully ripe guava though many others, the comparatively unripe one. I don't like the fully ripe version which are very soft.
    I remember eating guava by plucking directly from the tree. The branches of the guava tree are generally fragile and therefore it is risky to climb the tree.
    Guava can be eaten in the form of salad also. It is often used in fruit chats etc.
    Here by chat, I mean the spicy 'chat' as a food item more popular in the city of the auther.
    Otherwise we are indulging ourselves in 'fruit chat' on this thread.
    To sum up, guava is a very healthy food item.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

The most interesting thing about Guava is to consume it when it is not fully ripened. It gives a wonderful taste. Guava is also very good against the tooth problems. More than Guava fruit, the guava leaves are used for treating problems with gums of the teeth and also it helps in controlling tooth decay problems.

Another interesting point about Guava tree is that the stem or the trunk of the tree is very hard and closely packed. If it is used as a stick, it gives a high durability. This can be stated as one of the strongest wood to use. But the fact is that the trunk of Guava tree will not go much wider in diameter but if it does, it is good to use the tree's trunk. It also has some medicinal properties and used in treatments.

Thanks and Regards,
    S Balasubramanian

Quote: "It doesn't matter what we want. once we get it, then we want something else."

#567118: Thanks Mr. Balasubramanian for remining us the medicinal properties of guava leaves as well as guava stems as stick.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

• Sign In to post your comments