Looking for NEET / JEE Coaching? Enquire Now
You must Sign In to post a response.
Put in pending mode. Awaiting approval by the Webmasters.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Are there Hindu temples in Pakistan?

Members,
    I never visited Pakistan and know not much about Pakistan. I have few questions to ask.
    1. Are there Hindus residing in Pakistan?
    2. Are their Hindu temples in Pakistan?
    3. Does Pakistan respect the Hindus and their Gods?
    4. Are there Christians in Pakistan?
    5. Are there Churches in Pakistan?
    6. Does Pakistan respect Christianity?
    7. Are there any other religion in Pakistan except Islam?
    The point-wise answers are:-

1. There are 1.2% Hindus in Pakistan. They are mainly residing at Tharparkar, Nagarparkar, Mithi, Umerkot, Jacobabad, and Karachi in Sindh. Some Hindus are also living in fur-flung areas of Baluchistan.

2. The old Hindu temples are in dilapidated condition in Pakistan. Only Hinglaj Mata Temple in Baluchistan and Katas Raj Temple in Pakistan Punjab are maintained minimally. Among the new Temples, Swami Narayan Temple in Karachi is properly maintained. These are maintained from the grants of Hindus of Pakistan and mainly from other countries.

3. No, Hindus and their Gods are denigrated, ridiculed and desecrated in Pakistan.

4. The percentage of Christians in Pakistan is 1.5%. They are mainly concentrated in Pakistan Punjab and Karachi.

5. Yes, there are some Churches in the major cities of Pakistan. These Churches are comparatively better-maintained with foreign funds.

6. Christians and marginally better than Hindus. But their condition is also fast deteriorating.

7. In addition, Pakistan has 0.1% Sikh and some hundred of Parsis. Sikhs are mainly staying at Dera Baba Nanak area of Pakistani Punjab and NWFP. Parsis are living in Parsi Colony of Karachi. But Pakistan are treating Ahmadias and Quadianis as followers of different religions. Even Shias are treated as minorities.

If you want further details, I would be happy to provide the same.

"If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

I sense both curiosity and insecurity in the author's post. As for my answers, Partha sir has already given them.
    I guess author is curious because there was a time when our Pakistani brothers shared our country with us. Until partition there were huge and famous Hindu temples there. And Mohenjodaro and Harappa are also in Pakistan's vicinity only. So exploring Pakistan would give a detailed description of our country's rich past. This may even open doors for new discoveries and may finally solve the age-old discussion on Aryan-Dravidian theory.

And I sense a faint insecurity in author's post because Pakistanis might not be as tolerant as we are.
    And some extremists may have pillaged our heritage. Both nations have had a bitter relationship from the very beginning. So this thought might have kindled the author to ask some of these interesting questions to confirm that Pakistani Hindus and their heritage is safe and sound.
    I appreciate Sun sir for asking these questions, and hope he is satisfied with Partha sir's answer.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Well I do not think Pakistan would support allowing constructing and safeguarding Hindu temples, Christian Churches in recent past as they are not sure to safe guard themselves from the clutches of Muslims clergy. Unlike Indian Muslims, the Pakistan majorities are not tolerant and they claim that Pakistan belongs to Muslims and not other religions. Indians have the magnanimity to respect the feelings of minorities here with great respect and we cannot expect same scale of performance from Pakistan for various reasons. The country is heavily controlled by Military and for them religious politics is out of place.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

"The country is heavily controlled by Military and for them religious politics is out of place." Mr. Mohan: The God-forsaken country is being run by three 'M's-Money (received from begging called grant-in-aid), Military and Mullah. How can you say that religious politics is out of place (in Pakistan)?
    "If you are killed in action, you go to Heaven. If you win, you rule this Earth (as beautiful as Heaven). That is why, O son of Kunti, take a firm resolve and fight!"-- Shrimad Bhagwad Gita

• Sign In to post your comments