You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Oh My God! Wine has so many health benefits!

This is really astonishing for me! In a report, the experts have compiled the health benefits of wine, of course, when taken in moderation. The health benefits of wine are:-

(a) Wine has anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties. So, it can be applied on the infected area. A cotton ball is required to be soaked in wine and applied in the infected region.
    (b) Wine helps relaxing the nervous system. People who take upto seven glasses of wine in a week show no sign of stress or depression.
    (c) Wine helps in the treatment of diabetic retinopathy and other age-related eye problems.
    (d) Wine helps in improving immunity and partially protects from cold and flu.
    (e) Wine helps in increasing good cholesterol upto 12%.
    (f) A study by Columbia University finds that brain function declines at a faster rate in non-drinkers than in judicious drinkers.

But friends, please don't get carried away by this thread. If you take wine, take it in moderation to get benefitted.
    Well I am not a drinker but the way the author has presented the values and merits of wine it is really tempting me to have some. But we were advised by the elders previously that a casual taste would lead to regular in take and later as addict. So why should allow our taste buds to taste and then after it. What I heard that if a child is very naughty and wont sleep during the nights, a little wine given to him would do the wonders. But again this would be bad habit we would be creating to the child. All these are good to read and even tempting but what about after effects is the question to ponder over..
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: Wine does have some benefits. But please don't forget the last para of the thread.
    Come on, have a fight. Don't shoot and scoot.

Yes Partha I do read your caution, but the way you have mentioned the advantage of it, there seems to be reason behind it. i shall surely verify with a wine drinker about this fact and then get back here about the veracity.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I knew that wine has several beneficial effects on human body. We (humans) have been drinking this "elixir" since 10000BC. Even before we knew to write, we knew to brew.
    And the habit of sending oneself into intoxication is all common in nature. Ever seen a cat licking catnip? Ever seen a horse or a deer pick for fermented apples ? Ever seen monkeys licking centipedes and millipedes for "juice" ? Nature is a drug-store and alcohol is everywhere. And who could know this better than our ancestors.
    They knew the hidden benefits of wine too. All along. Which westerners could only prove now. Egyptians, Babylonians, Chinese, Mayans ,Indians,Vikings etc.., all drank the "elixir".
    It was used as an anesthetic earlier, during medication of war casualties. Sometimes a muscle relaxant. Sometimes just a refreshment.
    Wine then paved way to other alcoholic beverages which were not as beneficial as wine.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Though the wine has some health benefits as pointed out by the author, the evil effects of the wine is overcoming the good health benefits and therefore the wine consumption should always avoided. There is a saying in Tamil as,'Pon oosi thaan aanaalum kannil kuththikkollalaamaa?' which means 'Though the needle in made of gold we cannot prick our eyes with that.' Another example we can say here, though the chapel is made of gold we cannot keep inside the house at almirah.

A very good and informative thread.I want to know from the author, what does wine mean? Is it liquor of all brands such as rum whisky, beer or purely wine. though the wine has many benefits still young people should not test it. If some one does not have control over him, he may become addict to liquor. Addiction leads to destruction of self , family and society.
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

No, Mr. N.K. Sharma. Wine does not mean all types of alcoholic beverages. Whiskey,rum, beer, etc. are not wine. With my extremely limited knowledge about wine, I would only state that wine is made by fermentation of fruits like grapes.

Thank you Partha da for clarification. But most of the people in India consuming liquor only.
    The greatest wealth in this world is mental peace and good health.

Yes, in India, most of the people can't differentiate between wine and other alcoholic beverages. Wine is much more costly.

• Sign In to post your comments