You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

How non-Hindi speaking people speak Hindi (Part-I)

Friends, have you hard the song of the film 'Kasauti' (1974)? The lyrics of the song goes like this:

"Ham bolega toh bologe ke bolata hai - (2)
    Ek memsaab hai sath me sab bhee hai
    Memsaab sundar sundar hai sab bhee khubasurat hai
    Dono pas pas hain bate khas-khas hain
    Duneeya chahe kuchh bhee bole bole
    Duneeya chahe kuchh bhee bole, ham kuchh nahee bolega
    Ham bolega toh.........
    Hamara ek padosee hai nam jisaka joshi hai - (2)
    Woh pas hamare aata hai, aur hamako yeh samajhata hai
    Jab do javan dil mil jayenge, tab kuchh naa kuchh toh hoga
    Do se char ho sakate hain, aath se sath ho sakate hain
    Jo karata hai so pata hai, are apne bap kaa kya jata hai
    Joshi padosee kuchh bhee bole bole
    Joshi padosee kuchh bhee bole, ham kuchh nahee bolega
    Ham bolega toh.........
    Meree budhiya nani thee lekin badee sayanee thee
    Godee me mujhe bithatee thee aur sachchi bat sunatee thee
    Jab sal sataravan lagega dil dhadak dhadak toh karega
    Kisee sundaree se nainava milega, toh dil khusur phusur bhee karega
    Jab aag se ghi milega phir ghee bhee toh pighalega
    Naa aag se naa ghee se hamako kya kisee se
    Nani chahe kuchh bhee bole, ham kuchh nahee bolega
    Ham bolega toh........."

This song is a perfect example of how a Nepali speaks Hindi. A Nepali pronounces 's' as 'sh'. This peculiar accent of Nepali people can be easily understood in the song. Pran is singing the song and Amitabh Bachhan and Hema Malini are listenting to it. This song was immensely popular. Alas! we can't hear such song nowadays.

And the song has been brilliantly sung by a Bengali-babu, Shri Kishore Kumar Ganguly!
    Of course, I have heard this song, and remember the lyrics too.

No offence meant Partha, but you have spelt 'heard' the way Bengali's pronounce the word, that is 'hard'.

Yes, people generally face a problem speaking a non-native language. It is natural. My attempt to pick up Tamil was a disaster. I just could not get myself to master the phonetics. I can am generally able to follow what the other person is saying, thanks to the English words interspersed in conversations. Facial expressions and the tone and pitch are another give away, which send a clear message which way the conversation is headed. I know my limitations and never claim that I know the language.

What I find absurd is people taking offence when someone points out their mistake or tells them that their command over a language is poor. Why make a hue and cry and ask for support from others.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

It is quite natural for one to be influenced by peculiarities of his mother-tongue while speaking a different language. People from Kerala are known to give stress to the letter 'r' while speaking any language. Similarly Bengalis pronounce 'v' as 'b' and so on. It is quite natural and is very difficult to get corrected though not impossible. There are certain alphabets that may be present in some languages only and getting it right may not be easy for others.

Partha, I think our members will come up with their opinion in this thread itself and so it would be better if you don't come up with a part two which is likely to be about pronunciation by people from another part of India or so.

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. -Aristotle

Mrs. Juana: Sorry for the mistake. However, this is not due to my pronunciation, but due to the fact that the 'd', 'e' and 'w' keys of my very old laptop no longer listen to my finger-command.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Yes pronouncing Hindi words by different language people matters and it all depends on how easy we take it without casting any remarks. For example the fast train introduced during the Mamta Banerjee regime as the Railway Minister was called Thuranthu. But on the train it was written as Toronto and if any English person reads that as Toranto. Actually she meant fast in Bengali but it was got wrong by the Railway Ministry. Moreover the Bengalis change the name altogether. My brother name is Mukunda. One of my Bengali friend calls him as Makundev. Like wise Lakshmi as Lokky.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mr. Mohan: The name of the train is not Thuranthu or Toranto. It is Duronto Express. 'Duronto' is a Bengali word. Duronto can be roughly translated as 'restless & mischiveous child'.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

There had been and are many Bollywood singers whose mother tongue is Bangla or Bengali but while singing Hindi songs they never make a pronunciation mistake as they are paid for it.
    Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

But Partha I believe the train name was christened to denote its speedy reach and hence it may not be referred to restless or mischievous child as opined by you. I would like to have reaction from others.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments