You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Improve Your English

How do we kick the bucket? - explain this idiom

Want to know the origin of the idiom to kick the bucket? Understand its meaning too and various associations from this learning thread.

Members,
    "Kicking the bucket" is an idiom to say that a person has expired or died or reached heaven. Is there anything special to this idiom? Can we quote this idiom for a normal death? How did this idiom take birth? What do you understand by 'Kicking the bucket'. How it is related to death?
    Sun,

I am shifting this thread to the 'Improve your English' category. Yes, any death can be associated with this idiom. It simply implies that the person is no more in the living world.

Since I did not know the origin of the idiom and why the bucket is associated with death, I looked it up on the Net. I came across this interesting explanation: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/kick-the-bucket.html

When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment you create trust! ~ John C. Maxwell

Without referring anything, I would say that the idiom 'Kicking the bucket" originated from a suicidal death. When someone commits suicide by hanging (it is the most suitable suicidal act) the person uses a bucket to stand on top of it, and after tying the rope on their neck, they would kick the bucket to get hanged.

So it would be better to use this idiom when a person dies after committing suicide.

What is your comment please?

No life without Sun

When I was young, I used to get wonder about this phrase " KIcked the Bucket" which really means he is dead. But when we go deep in to the meaning, a normal sensible person wont kick the bucket just like that as he would either avoid kicking and take a side route. A person who is about to die probably may not be in full sense or his thinking capacity might have lost. So he cannot gauge what he is doing and probably what ever kept on his path would be kicked and that includes even the bucket. By the way by kicking a bucket huge sound is produced and a person about to die also signals big gestures and moves.
    K Mohan @ Moga
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I think this idiom is a very slang or impolite way to relate a person for his death.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.