You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Music

Today is the birthday of Jagjit Singh, the Ghazhal King

Jagjit Singh was born on 8th February, 1941 at Sri Ganganagar in a Sikh family. After completing his Graduation from Jalandhar, Jagjit came to Bombay (now Mumbai). Within a very short period, he mesmerised his audience with correcet rendition and velvet voice. He again popularised Ghazhal among the younger generation of the country. Jagjit and his wife Chitra gave many heart-rendering Ghazhals during 1970s and 1980s. However, after the death of their son Vivek, Chitra retired from the world of music.

Jagjit Singh was and still is extremely popular among the people of Indian sub-continent. Who can forget his 'Woh Kaghaz ki Kasthi'. 'Kal Chaudvi ki Rat thi', 'Tera Chehra', 'Dil hi to hai', 'Apni Marzi se', 'Gushan ki Faqt', 'Dard ke Phool Bhi' and many otther Ghazhals? He was also known for his Bhajans.

My respect to this legendary singer on his 76th birthday.
    Has Jagjit Singh been forgotten so soon? Or doesn't the present generation listen to Ghazals?
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

Yes preset generation is not listening to the jagjit singh. He was legendary singer of gajal. He gave special place to it in India and the world music. Unfortunately it true that present generation is not interested in the Sad gajal.
    My respect and tribute to the legendary.

Prasanna
    Well done is better than well said

Sorry for missing this thread. I am also the ardent fan of Jagjit Singh and his wife Chitra Singh. Both of them were awesome couples music wise and their voice were just mesmerizing. There was a song in Hindi which goes like this " Yeh tera ghar yeh mera ghar " which was filmed on Farooq Shaik and that was very good rendered by Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh . And his wonderful rendition " Woh Kagaz ki Kazhthi" was truly awesome. Previously the AIR FM used to play his Ghazals and the modern FM's are not playing the old songs at all and that is why present generation are not aware of this great Ghazal Singer.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

I will begin with a response to your question in #590257 Ghazal's are no longer popular. Most youngsters will not understand the difference between a ghazal and a nazm. Today's generation prefers a different genre of music, one which (sadly) I do not understand.

Ghazal's were made popular in the late 70's and early 80's by singers from our neighbouring country, namely Mehndi Hassan and Ghulam Ali. They had thousands of Indian fans. Chitra and Jagjit became popular during this period too, along with Bhupinder Singh, Talat Aziz, Pankaj Udhas and Penaz Mesani, to name a few. Everyone who could sing cashed in on this craze. It was also the era of Doordarshan and these singers would perform regularly on the National channel.

Hindi cinema during that phase and earlier had some beautiful ghazal's sung by Rafi and Talat Mehmood. One of my favourite non-film singers was Farida Khanum.

'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

I admit that I have never heard about Farida Khanum. I immensely like the voice of Peenaz Masani, but nowadays I don't see her performing. Pankaj Udhas, Ghulam Ali and Mehdi Hasan are also my favourites.
    "Khamosh rahoon toh mushqil hai; Keh doon toh shiquayat hoti hain" (It is difficult to remain silent; But when I open up, they start complaining.)

'Aaj jane ki zid na karo' is one of Farida Khanum's more popular songs. Every ghazal singer in that era had their own inimitable style of singing. Ghulam Ali introduced a new style of ghazal singing by adding a classical touch. Jagjit and Chitra and even Anoop and Penaz banked on the sweetness element – sweet voices, sweeter personalities. Talat Aziz was, I think, was more popular for his looks than his singing. Farida Khanum on the other hand had an earthy voice. Her rendition of songs was powerful and her deep voice and the selection of poetry got her the title of Queen-of-Ghazals.
    'A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak' - Micheal Garrett Marino

Ms. Juana (#590304): I heard this song ('Aaj jane ki zid na karo') and was mesmerised by Abida Parveen (?), or am I wrong?

Partha,

Abida Parveen is a Sufi singer, I have heard and seen her on television, but had to Google to see who she is. I didn't know her name, because that genre does not interest me. I do not know if she has sung the nazm in discussion. The song was (I think) first sung by Farida Khanum and I have heard just her, sing it. I am not sure if anyone else has attempted it.

• Sign In to post your comments