Indira Gandhi : The PM With Strong Political WillThe nation is remembering Indira Gandhi, the first lady PM of independent India, on her 100th Birth anniversary. She was known for her strong political will in implementing decisions of national importance. She will be remembered for the following strong decisions marked epoch in the history of modern India.
1. The decision of backing Bangladesh freedom movement and dividing Pakistan proved to be in favour of India immensely. This broke the power of Pakistan and enhanced the security of the country. Bangladesh is not a security threat as it was when united with Pakistan.
2. The abolition of 'privy purses' paid to the former rulers of the princely states who signed the instrument of accession with independent India.
3. Nationalisation of banks proved to be an economic milestone in strengthening the economy of the country. 14 banks were nationalised which were controlling the 85 percent of India's deposits.
4.Nuclear explosion at Pokhran. This explosion gave a rightful place to India in the nuclear club of five major countries of the world.
5. She was blamed for imposing emergency in the country. That was the darkest period of modern India. She was penalised for that. She lost power after that. But the shabby government of the Janata Party and subsequent governments installed her back into the saddle once again.
6. Operation Blue- Star: The Indian military stormed into the premises of the Golden Temple in Amritsar to drive out the Sikh extremist religious leader, Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale and his armed followers. Few months after the Operation Blue-Star, Indira Gandhi was assassinated by her Sikh bodyguards.
Except imposition of emergency, her career as the PM of India was a glorifying tenure for the country. I pay my homage to her. Forum members are invited to record their comments on this great leader of India.