You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Let us not forget 13/12/2001

On this day in 2001, five heavily-armed terrorists belonging to terror groups Lashkar-e-Taiba and Jaish-e-Mohammed, stormed the Parliament complex in New Delhi and opened fire indiscriminately. The attack led to the death of 12 people, including one civilian. The one-hour long gun battle was broadcast live on news channels. All MPs and ministers escaped unhurt. The attack triggered extensive and effective investigations which revealed possible involvement of four accused namely Afzal Guru, Shaukat Hussain, SAR Geelani and Navjot Sandhu. Out of them, Navjot Sandhu was acquitted of all the charges except the one under Section 123 IPC (Concealing with intent to facilitate design to wage war) for which she was convicted and sentenced to undergo rigorous imprisonment for five years and a fine. Death sentences were imposed on the other three accused by the trial court. While SAR Geelani was acquitted in the case, Shaukat Hussain's sentence was lessened to life imprisonment by the Delhi High Court. Shaukat Hussain was released by the then Government, nine months prior to his official date of release, because of his so-called good conduct. The Supreme Court dismissed Afzal Guru's plea seeking review of his death sentence, saying "there is no merit" in it on 12 January, 2007.

After much dilly-dallying and despite every effort to save Afzal Guru by the liberals, he was finally hanged in February, 2013.

On this day, let us pay our respect to the martyrs who left the world on 13th December, 2001. Let us also take a resolve not to show any mercy to those anti-nationals who shout: "Afzhal hum sharminda hai, tera katil zinda hai".
    A very disturbing incident which is very difficult to forget. Today morning while going through the newspaper I remembered the issue and I thought there will be a post on this today. The same thing happened. You made all the members to remember the shameful act of some terrorist on this day in 2001. Even though the culprits were punished I feel the process of punishing is very slow and it has taken a lot of time than required. I don't know whether it is a deliberate act or happened because of other priorities. I appreciate the Supreme courts ruling not to show mercy to the key player of the total ghostly act.
    On this day, let us pay our rich tributes to the martyrs who left the world on 13th December 2001. Let us also take an oath not to show any sympathy to those anti-nationals who are trying for the downfall of the country.

drrao
    always confident

I also join all to remember, for a moment at least, the sacrifice of those innocent people and the brave soldiers and police officials who lost lives defending and protecting the country's sacred institution.

Our sincere tributes to the people who scarified their lives on this day in 2001. It is sad to hear about loss of lives including a gardener. Checking at the timelines, the trail court handed death sentence to the terrorists on 18th Dec 2002 and finally one was hanged to death on 9th Feb 2013. I feel quick completion of justice should be handed over in matters of terrorism hitting the heart of the Government like the Parliament. Swift justice with uniform stance by all political parties will certainly send a strong message to the terrorists groups and their sponsors. We should not give them a chance for hearings, postponements, pleas etc to be entertained. In individual attacks, yes their can be an error of judgement and later questions but an attack on the country's apex body shouldn't be taken lightly and justice should not be delayed.

And we must be very careful about 'Afzal hum sharminda hai' liberals. They have the ability to do more harm to the country than those terrorists.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Really that incident shocked every citizen of India as it was the biggest conspiracy of Pakistan to eliminate the very institution of democracy but they failed and got humiliated. If India has the compulsion of pardoning the conspirators, it can take the help of International court of justice to book them and punish them. Surely there are liberals in this country batting for wrong doers and that is more worrying fact. Once bitten and twice shy, now this government has envisaged greater plan to put the conspirators behind bars and the International pressure is slowly being mounted on Pakistan to do so.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

• Sign In to post your comments