You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Incredible India: These musical instruments are not found anywhere except India

India is a land of diversity. India's diversified culture is manifested in every aspect of life, be it food, home, language, complexion, physical features, literature, dance, song, everywhere. So far as musical instruments are concerned, there are different musical instruments in different regions. There are many musical instruments in India which are not used anywhere in the world. In this thread, I am mentioning two such instruments.

Pepa (used in Assam): This is a wind instrument (hornpipe). Peopa is made from the horns of buffalo. Pepa is used mainly by male artists during 'Bihu' festival. Pepa is also known as Xuri, Peempa and Pepati in different parts of Assam.

Algoza (used in Punjab and Rajasthan): Algoza is a musical instrument which is very popular among the folk singers of Punjab and Rajasthan. This instrument is a combination of two flutes and is used with three fingers. This is also a wind instrument.

Like these two instruments, there are some other instruments like Pakhwaj, Padayani Thappu, Sursingar, Kazhal, Sambal, etc. which are not found anywhere in the world.
    Appreciate the author for sharing the rare musical instruments of India which give rare sounds too. In this regard I add the morsing. which gives rare sound and the person always accompanies with mridangam or vocal artist.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Indian music itself is very vast. There are many types of instruments and many tunes. The same song will be sung in different tunes by different singers. The number of instruments that are being used in India is countless. I have heard the voice of hornpipe. In our village during the village goddess festival, this is being used. I know that it is made of the animal horn but whether it is the horn of Buffalo is not known to me.
    A very good information has come from the author through this post and my appreciations to the author for the same.

drrao
    always confident

Nice information about the unique instruments in parts of India. I think, if we track any race back into its history, we would find such rare wind instruments of music developed by the locals and used at ceremonies. These instruments would have been crafted from anything that resembles a hollow tube ( bone, horn, bamboo etc). I remember being at festivals in TamilNadu many years ago, there used to be musicians playing a long brass instrument like a tube that used to have a really loud tone that could be heard for quite some distance. I couldn't get the name but surprised to find that it does have a name 'Ekallam'

I always like these type of thread which gives new information which is unique and so I am adding few musical instruments from my state and locality which are used during special folk dance performed in Kumoun region of Uttrakhand.
    The folk dance is Choliya dance which is very nice to watch because the performance involved by artists and the musical instruments used are Turi, nagphani and ransing belonging to the brass instrument family are traditional instruments of the Kumaon which were earlier used in battles to increase the morale of the troops, are used.
    Percussion instruments like dhol, damau which are played by professional musicians known as dholies.
    Masakbeen or Bagpipe introduced by the British in Kumaun as instruments played in marching bands were assimilated into the wide range of instruments played.
    Woodwind instruments like the nausuriya muruli ( (lit. the nine-note flute) a kind of flute and jyonya (lit. twin flute) a type of double flute.

"It is hardest thing in the world to be good thinker without being a good self examiner"

India is definitely a land of variety. It is that variety and the invisible underlying unity that makes it unique. It is that invisible unity that is the eye sore for many. That is why there are many bids and covert and overt acts to derail the unity.
    Our local and folk festivals are designed and envisaged for the preservation and continuation of such variety. Not knowing that or deliberately turning blind to that many among us are trying to put spokes in the sustenance and preservation of them and oppose every bit when such local flavours get prominence and visibility.

I was watching a brief documentary on musical instruments of India lately. In India, percussion, wind, string and impact musical instruments, all are found.
    Gods play string instruments - sitar, veena etc..;
    Gandharvas play wind instruments like flute.
    Kinkaras play impact instruments like chimes and cymbals.
    And Rakshasas play percussion instruments like drums and mrudangam.

There are several thousands of musical instruments that are found in India. Infact the Jaltarang, in India is among the oldest instruments of the world. First is obviously Gadha or pot.
    But as for the buffalo horn in Assam, people in Tibet have a similar instrument.

It is true that these musical instruments are only found in this sub-continent but that is the thing. Every country has it's own musical instruments.
    Vikings' horn is found rather nowhere. Balaika from Russia is found nowhere.
    There are a millions of African instruments that are found no where.
    So, music is something that countries maintained their uniqueness and individuality in.

The stronger a light shines the darker are the shadows around it.

Partha, appreciations to you that you took such pain to bring out beautiful informations. It would be better if you create an article about it, putting some detail informations. It is worth to read and get some knowledge about such rare musical instruments.

Thanks again, happy to see such post by members like you.

Mr. Jeets: thanks for your comment. I have collected information in respect of ten such unique musical instruments of India. I will try to write an article on these instruments once the current family emergency is over.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

• Sign In to post your comments