You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General Instructions

No repetitive sentences & appreciations required in article responses

Those who are submitting responses to articles are requested not to repeat sentences, whether in-between or the opening and closing ones.

For example, it will begin with "My appreciation to the author for writing an informative article." and end with the same reiteration, "Very nice article. I express my appreciation to the author."

Another example: "This article is very useful for students." will be the first sentence; "Thank you for a useful article for students." will be the ending line.

Everyone is again requested to read Guidelines for Articles Responses.
    Responding to an article is basically for adding something which is not there or putting altogether a different view on the subject.

Just appreciating is only a courtesy towards the authors views and from such response it appears as if we are fully endorsing what he has written.

There are number of people who read articles and if everyone out of this courtesy writes a few lines acknowledging the authors work and simply admiring it then there will be unnecessary crowding without any fruitful outcome.

Knowledge is power.

But what I feel that not all the members write articles and if some members does write with great enthusiasm and appreciating them with some soothing words would satisfy their urge that some one cared to appreciate them. Adding flavor to the article would be done but a word of appreciation would give a pat on the back of those who spend more time in creating articles. And it is Indian custom to appreciate and encourage those who performs and in that line if we appreciate the article author what is wrong. Anyway the advisory is noted and I shall follow the rules stipulated there in.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

This is an useful reminder. I would like to remember the same as occasionally I submit article responses. Thanks to the ME for providing the link of relevant guidelines.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Good information. One or two sentences just highlighting the article's speciality and then adding any additional information related to the subject which will make the users more informative may be the best way of writing an article review. it is better to be as per the guidelines and I thank the Managing Editor for reminding the issue and for a providing a link to the guidelines.
    drrao
    always confident

If there is something relevant to add, then, I add it in the manner of points.It is difficult to find relevant information to add extra in case of articles as the author would have already covered most of it. Hence most replies have the first two examples ( my appreciation to or very nice alone) to say that they have read the article and also hope to get some points. The admin is already following a very good policy of bringing the points to '0' if it only has words of appreciation. By all means, post appreciation if you want to but do not expect points, this is a good message. If replies are standard from a particular member, then dropping a note to them personally would be helpful.

K Mohan,

You do not seem to have understood the advisory. We are not instructing that no appreciative comments should be given. We are saying not to repeat the same appreciative comment within the text of the response, as also not to repeat other sentences.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

Everyone,

We are also finding members doing this in forum responses. No need for echoes, please! Do not repeat your own words or what is already stated by others in previous responses in a thread. Surely you can convey your own opinions and not merely reiterate what somebody else is saying.

When people come at you with their worst, you should come at them with your best (advice given to Selena Gomez by her mother, quoted in Time magazine.)

#621640 - It is water off a duck's back.

You have raised this issue a number of times, and the outcome is for everyone to see. I voiced my opinion too, through this thread, but nothing much has changed.

The urge to score points is so high, among a few members, that they blatantly ignore the warnings and portray themselves as innocent, rule-abiding members. When will they end this innocent charade?

I recognise these members, as I am sure you do. There is no prize for guessing who they are. Everyone in ISC knows the members who are being referred to.

So, will you guys please put an end to your act. A word to the wise is sufficient.

I may be echoing the points raised in this thread, but I believe that I need to lend my voice here. This has got to stop.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.