You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Alas! The appreciations are also so selective

I read different newspapers published from different regions of the country. During the last two days, I have been reading appreciations in different newspapers for Ghalib Guru, who has secured 88% marks in XIIth Board Examination this year. Similarly, there are lots of praise for Muhammad Naveed Aalam, who has secured 77% marks in the science stream. Ghalib Guru is the son of hanged terrorist Afzhal Guru and Naveed Aalam is the brother of killed terrorist Burhan Wani.

Last year, those journalists and reporters went ga-ga over the fact that sons of Syed Salauddin, head of Hizbul Mujahideen, are working under J&K Government. They could not find phrases to praise those sons of the terrorist.

But I don't hear about the daughters of Tukaram Ombale, the policeman who got killed during Mumbai carnage but captured Ajmal Kasav alive. His daughters faced considerable financial difficulties after his death, but completed B.Ed. and have become teachers.

We don't hear appreciations for the daughter of Gajender Singh Bisht, who was also martyred in the Mumbai carnage. His daughter is preparing herself with all sincerity to join Indian Army. The only daughter of Hanumanthappa Koppad is being mentored by her mother to follow the footsteps of Hanumanthappa Koppad. She is preparing to join Army.

Alas! In India, appreciations have become selective.
    Media has to be blamed for this fiasco. Who is stopping appreciate those who are performers. But the media picks up such people who are famous for good or bad. But when a bad person daughter and son gets highlighted with good studies, it is the matter to ponder over as the gene has changed and a good positive thinking emanated from the minds of young ones thereby not towing the idea of their parents who are bad to the society. One thing is very clear here. Parents are having their own way of thinking and moving in the society, and children are greatly influenced and forced to follow the society.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

We read what is printed and unfortunately, we cannot control or have a say in the content that the papers/media puts out. Sadly there would be some or few elements in this powerful Fourth estate who in exchange for money, favors or fear would openly support anti-social, political and extreme parties or fronts. Apart from this they also print matter which is eye-catching to increase their sales or online traffic. If you question such anomalies, then freedom of expression, right to print the truth would all be brought out.
    Only genuine hope would be that these youngsters standout as an example of reformation or a change to become a good citizen of India. The last paragraphs highlighting the achievements of the martyrs families are laudable, at least some of us can express our solidarity with them like the author has mentioned.

I think it is a matter of perception. It won't be news if the son or daughter of a doctor or engineer becomes one, but at the same time, it will be news if the son or daughter of a low-class worker or beggar becomes a doctor or engineer. Similarly, the children of terrorists or criminals doing well in studies or in other fields will become news because unlike their father or mother, they have chosen to join the mainstream and to do something productive. If we are to go according to what Partha says, we will be having so many reports daily because we have so many children of soldiers who had laid down their lives for the nation making it big in life. So, at the cost of being termed whatever one likes to, I would humbly request the author to come out of the shell and start thinking beyond religion, at least sometimes.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

In our marketing field we have a quote - "Jo dikhta hai wo bikta hai". Meaning "visible products are easier to sale". I feel it same goes with today's media who are more in to upgrading their TRP than interested in showing the true appreciation. For them the quote is - "Jo Bikta hai, Wo dikhta hai".

I don't think the Author is bringing any religion into this matter. And it would be better if we stop justifying people with our own perception of thinking. There is no need to bring religion in every matter even if one not intended to do so. People here too Sould try to accept and respect other opinion with their intelligent and broad mind.

This is the way in which our media is going these days. They can write about the sons and daughters of Terrorist who became better citizens, unlike their fathers or mothers. But they can also write something about the children of police or soldiers who have done a good work even after losing their fathers in their duties.
    There is a point in the other theory also. Even their parents are criminals or terrorists without following them, their children becoming good citizens is worth appreciation. That may be the reason these people are giving more importance to them. I appreciate it. But at least a small place can be given to the others achievements also.

drrao
    always confident

"I would humbly request the author to come out of the shell and start thinking beyond religion, at least sometimes.''-------------- I would humbly request the author to come out of the shell and start thinking beyond liberalism, at least sometimes, and appreciate all who genuinely deserve appreciation, crossing the barrier of religion.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

Partha, I don't mind you quoting the rider but sincerely hope that you understood my point. I have nothing more to say.
    'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it'. - Aristotle.

It is really unfortunate that our media as well as many of us have become so much selective in our appreciations. It shows indirectly our deep sitting fear somewhere for a particular community. Even the politically motivated people will be surprised with these exclamation.

We are making these remarks rather hastily without seeing the things in a general and national level. Everyone is in a hurry for taking mileage out of commenting on a community related issue.

There is no relation between the accomplishments of a father and his son. History is full of such examples. Why we want to divert attention of people to such worthless appreciations is not understood.

Knowledge is power.

Whether selective or not, whether religious tinge is intended or not, I am happy to note that the children of Afzal Guru and brother of Burhan Wani are making news for the right reasons. Such children need all the help from the society to put them on the right path unlike Afzal Guru and Burhan Wani. I hope the education gives them a new life and put them in the mainstream.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

Only two days ago I read another news-item which stated that a research scholar at Aligarh Muslim University has joined a terrorist organization. I hope that such thing doesn't happen in these cases about which the media and some people are going ga-ga nowadays.
    Beware! I question everything and everybody.

It happens only in India!

We are heart full with praising of the children who were having evil mind, but have nothing to say about those children who gave their life for these evils. This thread was not related to any religion but it was made to look a like, this thread was about our bias thinking and finally it proves it. I am surprised we don't have a word for the people those who fight against evils in our society because than we won't be a secular person!

Whether the children of evil minded people will do any good for our society or not but I wish that the Tukaram and Bisht daughter make us proud again as their father had done for this nation.

Children of martyrs who struggle to complete their education, who stand out despite adversity should certainly be mentioned. If the newspapers found time and space to highlight the education success of anti-national elements, they should have the maturity and be fair-minded in publishing about the children of martyrs also who have done well. Why are the readers and followers of these newspapers not asking these questions?

• Sign In to post your comments