You must Sign In to post a response.
This thread is not based on an FB official notification but general rumours. Readers are advised to check facts.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Is it Fakebook or Facebook ? 20 crore fake accounts detected. Now onward Aadhaar must for FB

It has been reported in electronic media that 20 crore fake accounts of Facebook has been detected and the company is now under the tremendous pressure to cleanse up the account of every Individual to ensure that only genuine members be there on their rolls and weed out bogus accounts which are aimed at trapping some one or with cheating intentions. Henceforth even Facebook may demand Aadhaar seeding as compulsory to maintain fair and clean accounts so that the real genuine users gets benefited without fear.
    "Now onward Aadhaar must for FB"
    "Henceforth even Facebook may demand Aadhaar seeding..."

Why do you sensationalise things? You mentioned something in the title and contradicted yourself in the post. This is called spreading 'fake news'.

I came to the thread reading the title and it turns out that it is just the work of your mind.

There is a huge difference between 'must' and 'may'. This is misleading people.

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

I was referring to the electronic media report and not fabricated from my side.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

What electronic media? Are you referring to Whatsapp or some Facebook post?

Anyway, I questioned the TITLE of your post where you declare that from now onwards Aadhaar is MUST for Facebook.

It is perhaps a thought that fleeted through the mind of whoever fabricated this electronic news. The point is that it is not yet a must for people to enrol with Aadhaar. So, why mislead people with unsubstantiated news and add some 'tadka' to it, with 'now onwards Aadhaar a must for Facebook'.

In my opinion, any such move by Facebook would target just Indians. Would it be considered racist when people from other nationalities would be free to create multiple accounts (some of them fake) and Indians would have to prove their identity to be on a social media site?

"A love affair with knowledge will never end in heartbreak." -Michael Garrett Marino

Frankly, I too came to this thread reading the title "now onwards Aadhar must for FB". But found different story when the author said " henceforth even FB may demand Aadhar." If we have our personal opinion, we should indicate it rather than trying to show as if it is the fact!

In my personal view Aadhar card is good to use for official use. However attaching it to everything is something I find irritating. If ever FB demand for Aadhar, I will take out my account because then I would not be interested. I am not FB fan and it is not necessary for me.

Is it your View? Did you see this anywhere? I don't think all the fake FB accounts are from India only. I know that Facebook is there all over the world and the member need not be an Indian. The other members who are non-Indians will not have Aadhaar Cards and then how they will open an account on this site.
    Your heading is like a news media breaking news. but the text is saying it may ask. So I think it is your thinking that they may ask for an identity proof to open an account on FB like a bank account. It may not be possible and Aadhaar is an official document and people are hesitating to link it with other official issues. Then how they provide aadhaar linking for social media sites.

drrao
    always confident

The issue here is not only the numbers but what these fake accounts had done and can do. Most of the issues start from the US presidential campaign of 2016. Amid rumours of Russians meddling with the US elections, a Senate judiciary committee was set up. Around Oct/Nov 2017, Facebook reported that 120 fake Russian backed facebook pages had 80,000 posts that were directly received by 29 million Americans and (126-129 million after like, share, follow options)
    (https://www.businessinsider.in/From-crazy-to-regret-heres-how-Facebooks-positions-on-Russian-interference-evolved-over-time/articleshow/61428485.cms)
    (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/30/facebook-russia-fake-accounts-126-million)

Subsequently, Facebook also reported that up to 270 million accounts are fake/illegitimate/duplicate.
    (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/11/02/facebook-admits-270m-users-fake-duplicate-accounts/)

There are many sites that 'sell' likes for a price, due to this lure of easy money, numerous facebook fake accounts are created. (https://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-parsons/facebooks-war-continues-against-fake-profiles-and-bots_b_6914282.html)

For facebook, shutting down these illegal accounts would help to boost its image but the revenue from the ads and views would fall.

After watching the news on tv I had reported this matter here. If television news cannot be believed by ISC, then it is waste to discuss further.
    K Mohan

Do you believe all the crap that is shown in television, especially news channels who create anything in the name of TRP ratings? Stop being blind follower of whatever is shown in media and whatever is told over internet. You are educated, do your research, have some logic. Simply posting something that is purely rumour or even fake and backing it by some news channel, doesn't make rumours or fake news true.

Of course there are plenty fake accounts in Facebook and all those fake accounts from India? And Facebook asking Indians to use Aadhar will definitely be a racist move.

Editors please lock this thread as it propagates fake news or baseless facts.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

There exists a problem with fake accounts, nobody can deny it. Instead of being accusatory to the author, can we edit the title and take off 'Aadhaar a must of FB'.
    I agree the onus is on the author to verify it but it is also on the editors to guide or help them. locking it would just discourage members. If a particular member is a repeat offender for fake news, then obviously we can lock the thread.

ISC has already mentioned a missive on the top and my points were also detected for reporting the fact. So what else the members want ?
    K Mohan

The Facebook did try on a trial basis to ask the new members with an option to mention their Aadhar number while registering. It was optional only. The option seems to have appeared for some of the new members only. Later on it was removed by the Facebook as per the news reports in the media. It is not a fake news but genuine one. One can google 'facebook and Aadhar' and find it on the internet.
    " Be Good and Do Good "

The problem with social media is that anyone can sign up with some assumed name and start using it. The authenticity of the person and his identity remains hidden. Today people are having multiple sim cards with them. They will even use or misuse them for verification if a site wants so.

Where is the governance to catch these thieves prowling in the dark of social media sites to trap the gullible and innocent young minds?

Terrorist are using some of these sites for their mass communication. Their associates get the information much before the official cadres smell it.

The rumour may be true or not it is anybody's guess. Who knows the truth when such massive flood of information is flowing from one end to other without any productive output.

Knowledge is power.

Here is the news report from Economic times which is self explanatory.
    K Mohan

Delete Attachment

There is a difference between compulsion (must) and option (may). Facebook indeed asked for Aadhar details but it did not make it mandatory. There was a severe protest against this as users were afraid that Facebook was collecting user's 'sensitive' data. It was done on a test basis. You can check the link below. Your attachment from Economic times itself states that 'Facebook was testing', 'not everyone gets the option to enter Aadhar number'. Have you checked that?

https://www.businesstoday.in/technology/news/aadhaar-prompt-facebook-connect-link-users-account-india/story/266891.html

What my point here is the title of the post says something (must) and the description (may) says something else, which seems to be contradicting and misleading. You either change the title of this thread or may edit the descriptive content. You can check the image below am attaching and I have underlined what exactly Facebook did.

Thank You
    Dr. V. Shashikanth

Delete Attachment

Dr Shashikanth may also refer to the video news aired on V6 telugu channel recently on the subject and that is coinciding with my content.
    K Mohan

• Sign In to post your comments