You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: Miscellaneous

Let us learn the words equivalent to Sir and Madam

Dear All,
    Sir and Madam are the English words. In your mother tongue what is the word equivalent to Sir and Madam?

In Tamil - Sir is Ayya & Madam is Amma

I hope all members of ISC would post their response to this thread to update our knowledge in addressing people in other languages.
    In Hindi language, equivalent word of Sir is 'Shriman' and the equivalent word of Madam is 'Shrimati'.
    However, in practice these words are seldom use.
    Sometimes, the alternate words like 'Mahoday' and 'Mahodaya' are also used.
    Normally, in practice the words Sir and Madam are used as it is.

Let us encourage each other in sharing knowledge.

One of our member is already using the word Ayya while referring me and I was overwhelmed by her expression. Good that regional languages are also used in ISC.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

Mohan,
    You being a Tamil Hyderabadian, you should have responded with the words equivalent in Telugu. I Would appreciate if you do so.

No life without Sun

The equivalent words for Sir and Madam in Telugu are Ayya and Amma respectively. Whether it is lady or gent We use " GARU" after the name to call anyone with respect.
    drrao
    always confident

In Telugu, the words garu is the best way to add sufix and call the person with respect. So Sun can be called as Sun garu, Dr Srinivasa Rao as Srinivasa Rao garu.
    K Mohan
    'Idhuvum Kadandhu Pogum "
    Even this challenging situation would ease

In Malayalam there are no correct equivalents. However there are certain equivalents to show respect. 'Yajaman' (Eman) is used in certain areas in the place of Sir. In schools lady teachers are called Teacher and gents as Sir. Male teachers are called 'Master' in certain places.
    In Kerala this type of addressing could be seen between different castes and communities. Those belonging to lower castes address those in upper castes as 'Thampuran' (In the case of women it was Thampuratty).
    Now 'Sir' and 'Madam' are being used as Malayalam words here, since most are literate and school educated.

T.M.Sankaran
    Gold Member ISC

In Bengali, respect is shown by using ''babu'' after the name of a person. As for example, to show respect to a person named Ramen, we use Ramen-babu. But, please remember that this word ''babu'' is different from Hindi ''babu'', which means a lower-level bureaucrat.

There is no similar specific word in Bengali for ladies. Sometime, respect is shown by using ''Didi'' or ''Di'' after the name of a lady. Example, Reena-di, Rama-didi, etc.

Beware! I question everything and everybody.

The words for referring to people when we talk or write are added before or after like a prefix or a suffix, this is more eloquent in the classical language rather than the modern language.

For instance in the classical Tamil language, we use karar or nar or mar for profession and person. For instance, referring to a flower vendor, Pookaran (male), Pookari(female) is without any respect. The same, if we have to use respectable words would be Pookarar(male), Pookaramma(female). Similarly, we can use mar to make the words sound more honorable, akka(sister) will become akkamar and thambi(brother) will become thambimar.

In classical tamil, we also use 'Thiru' before a name, which is like sir or mr. To say Mr.SuN, in noble tamil, I would say, Thiru Sun avargal.

As Sankaran sir has already said, we use sir as saar and madam as madam in Malayalam. Sir or Madam are words which we use to show respect while addressing a person, especially one with some authority. In that context, I doubt whether the Tamil, Telugu and Bengali usages provided by our members above can appropriately be said to be words used in place of sir and madam.

I am not sure, but I think we use sir or madam, though they may be pronounced differently flavored with the local accent, in almost all regions. I doubt whether we can address a person in authority as aiyya or garu or babu though they are words which depict respect. These words are no doubt a mark of respect and we use them while speaking about a person or during the course of a conversation and may be replaced in place of sir or madam but they don't appear to convey the same meaning or impact; they do appear more personal and has different and varied meanings with reference to relations.

I think the point, on which I have this doubt about, need some clarification.

'He who does not understand your silence will probably not understand your words.'- Elbert Hubbard.

Natarajan,
    The thread is to know the words equivalent to Sir and Madam only. In schools, when the attendance is taken by the teacher, and when the name is called, the student would say 'Present Sir/Present Madam"". In Tamil, they would say "Ullen Ayya/Ullen Amma. The word Thiru is a honorofic used while writting a name. The word 'Thiru' cannot be used alone like the word 'Sir'. Thiru should always be followed by the name. Thiru is equivalent to Mr. and Thirumathi is equivalent to Mrs/Ms.

Further, Akkamar and Thambimar are the plurals for Akka and Thambi. It is not to sound more honourable.
    Vun Akkavidam kel(Ask your sister)
    Vun Akkamaridam kel(Ask your sisters)
    Ayya (Sir)
    Anbulla Ayya (Dear Sir)
    Mathirpukkuriya Ayya, ...................... (Respected Sir)
    Mathirpukkuriya Thiruvalar Natarajan,.....(Respected Mr. Natarajan)
    Thirumathi Rani (Mrs.Rani)
    Kumari Rajam(Miss. Rajam)

No life without Sun

Saji,
    While speaking our mother tonugue, it will be nice to use the words equivalent to Sir or Madam. We have made it a habit to use Sir and Madam along with our mother tongue. Even people not knowing English use the words Sir and Madam in their communication. Sir is spoken as Sare (Entha Sare) in Malayalam. Northern people say ''Sir ji"

We do address the higher authorities as Ayya and Amma and Garu. They are much pleased to hear the words.

No life without Sun

• Sign In to post your comments