Do you think that our education system demands a change?
Do you feel that there is a requirement of modifications or amendments in our current education system? Share your views here.
My recent post Where are the Indian Brains was an outcome of an emotion of recognizing the our cultural values, creativity, capabilities and brilliance as an Indian.
With the responses received, before writing something on a new topic, I would like to start with something relevant so that we discuss proactively for a needful change.
In your own views what all the changes you think as required in our education system to enrich our future generations to evolve?
To start with, I will share my thoughts below and please continue to fill in yours :). I wish i see some striking thoughts and suggestions.
1. Reverse the importance of theory and practical classes- In current academics our priority relies on theory where students put a lot of effort in either memorizing the content or through understanding and replicate the same in evaluations. Less priority is given to Lab sessions where you have a couple of situations or examples only to clear your evaluation. If this is reversed, our practical knowledge is made essential and would definitely lay a path in keeping the minds think rather than memorize. It also removes or reduces the kid's daily luggage of books. Of course technology helps, let him take a laptop or tablet ;).
2. Preliminary standards to focus more on talent and art- Every individual is talented but how does it come out? Unless and until there is a wish, situation or a need, a person never makes up his mind to perform or progress. Preliminary standards, lets say from standards 2-8, if they focus more on talent/art and involve children, identifying their interests or talents becomes easier starting from the early stages. The way how they progress will make their individuality.
3. Completely revamp the evaluation system- A simple question to predict what a person remembers in an evaluation, doesn't solve any purpose in grading his capability. Grading or evaluation must be a necessity only starting from Graduation. Every kid will have to move till end of schooling without a grading system, alternate assessments like practical evaluations as mentioned in my earlier thought may be needed. The graduation which the kid would like to choose will be based on his interests and owning a degree will be based on pure skill and ability on his specialization, with no time limits.
4. Standardize same facilities in more or less every institution, no matter from rural or urban or city. This is a challenge but, it is possible.
5. Absolutely NO private educational Institution. Education must be provided free at least till end of class 12th.
I would like to hear from you all with similar suggestions and provide your views on above changes. These are just a few examples of what changes may be needed.
Pour in your views.
Today is the first day for rest of your life! Give it a better Start!